Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running 2 pc and FsHost and FS on separate machines and a Router!  (Read 8628 times)

alfhak

I have DSL modem and then a Netgear Router and 1 pc with Fflightsimulator and Pc 2 have the FsHost!
I have no problem to open the ports in the Router for FsHost but the problem is to connect with Flightsimulator to FsHost! With FsHostSpy I can see that FsHost have contact with the master service!

I only got it to work by setting the Pc 2 as a default DMZ Server in the Router but to have to remove all of the Forwarding ports for FsHost!

Both my Pc:s are connected to the router!

The problem I have running the FsHost servers are that not all can connect to it and sometimes user get disconnected! Even I have been disconected and can't reconnect until one is out!

I know the fault also can be that someone else is sittting behind a Router and not forwarded the ports so even someone can get disconnected that don't have a router!

Can the problem be that I am running a DMZ server and not forwarded the ports?

Air SeaTac

• Air SeaTac Virtual
Re: Running 2 pc and FsHost and FS on separate machines and a Router!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:50:08 AM »

First off, get that PC off the DMZ, you're opening yourself up to attack from the internet.  More later when I've had time to think

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »

Running FS and FSHost on separate machines on your LAN is always a problem, because you can only forward the FS ports to one machine.  So if you forward them to the FS machine, then the FSHost machine won't work correctly, and if you forward them to the FSHost machine, then FS won't work correctly. I always suggest that people run them both on the same machine. Most PCs these days have no problem running both together, and FSHost usually doesn't slow down FS.

If you have to run them on separate machines, you might take a look at this old post I made about using a program called DXport -- it lets you divide up the ports so some can be forwarded to one machine and some to another:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=408.msg2187;topicseen#msg2187

Russell

alfhak

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:59:39 AM »

So if I want to run them on separate machine a good choice can also be to have another router and split the DSL cable to both routers and then forwarded the ports in both router!

Thanks for your tip and advice!

Homer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »

Another way is to get a second DSL/cable-line (2nd external IP and router), if it is needed to run FS-Host and FS on different machines.
The Ultimate Global Tours
http://99.225.112.96:9901/

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »

So if I want to run them on separate machine a good choice can also be to have another router and split the DSL cable to both routers and then forwarded the ports in both router!

I don't think that will work actually, because the incoming connections from the outside world still have to be forwarded to only one machine.  I don't see how that will work unless you have two DSL/cable lines as Homer suggested.

But personally, that seems like a lot of work and money -- is there some reason you don't want to run them on the same machine?

Russell

alfhak

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:30:46 AM »

A friend of mine told me if I want to use 2 routers conected to an ADSL modem I have to make sure my ISP can deliver 2 different IP adresses from my ADSL modem! If not it wontt work!

The reason why I want to hav it on another machine is that I will release pressure from my machine I run FS and other addon on! I just want to have a separate pc for running the servers as FsHost, TeamSpeak! Also if my Flightsim Pc crash or shut down the servers will still be running!

It took some time to set things up to use both FS and FSHost running on the same machine! Forwarded the ports and also set things up with firewall! It took lots of time before it find the FsHost session and I conected to UDP port 23455 cause FsHost use UDP 23456! The thing I notice it then it find my session the number of the conection speed is lower now compare to then I run it as a DMZ server on my 2nd pc! Now it reads from 0 to 1ms!

alfhak

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:32:38 AM »

Hm! does not work running both on the same machine!
I got the connection speed up to 15 and my session is there!
I try to connect and the login window froze and after some time
I got the message! "Connect failed! No response". from the server but the
FsHost is running!

It looks like I have to run as DMZ server to get myself connected to the FsHost Server
and it should not be a problem as long firewall is on!

Homer

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »

You try to connect when FS-Host and and sim are on 1 computer and you get a freeze on login?

In that case it seems to be a Software Personal Firewall (SPF) blocking the traffic and what do you put in in the IP field? On the own computer you should be able to connect via 127.0.0.1.

FS-Host is very resource-economic program, a computer which is able to run FS9 or even FSX smooth, shouldn't have any impact on the performance running sim and FS-Host at once.

DMZ setting in routers is not working as it is supposed. Multiplayer requires a proper forwarded port-range from the external to to 1 dedicated internal IP.

If you have 2 physical lines you get 2 external IPs, then you will be able to forward the full required portrange to both computers.
The Ultimate Global Tours
http://99.225.112.96:9901/
Pages: [1]   Go Up