Started by G_CHAS, September 12, 2003, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_CHAS

::) Russell  

In addition to the Pressure warning that we discussed? the Surface wind speeds(DIRECTION) needs adjusting?..whenever I set a surface windspeed(DIRECTION),the final displayed result after  60 secs............. there is an additional 6 degrees added to the final heading.ie 180 becomes 186....354 becomes 0!

ThuG

huh? beta 13 is out already? hmm weird.

EDIT: sorry my spamfilter filtered it :|

jonf

Russ is holding out on us...Get him!!!  ;D

pilune

Hi Russel

thank you for this new beta intalled on our server

just a little bug found in the weather
when you choose the pressure in millibar
and indicate a value betweeen 999 and 1030
approx , a popup windows indicate that the
valut must be between 20 and 35 I think.

I am sure this value is only for Hg inches

thanks a lot

Philippe Gillet FAV France
server : www.favf.dyndns.org

Russell Gilbert

Hi Philippe,

Yes, definite bug :-(

New version coming soon -- in the mean time, please use Feet, Fahrenheit, and Inches Hg on the Options / Weather page.  If you've already changed these settings, change them back and then  click the Reset button next to the Weather Pattern list.  Then you should be able to change whatever you want, but leave the Display settings set to the US measurements until the next version.

Russell

CowBoyGuy

I wonder if I can get this in before b14 is sent out....

Any chance of giving us a weather variable? I was hoping to add it to my public page to let everyone see the current weather. THe admins loved the idea of changing it, which is now gone ... guess there is only one that can control the weather now...

Speaking of which... Any chance of a "Send Weather" button? Or a "Save As" to save a new predefined weather setting?

My admins will really miss the ability to alter weather from afar, as will I. The fields look so much like a METAR, any chance we could read them from a file like the commands.txt, every x seconds? And could that file be a URL allowing us to update from files off the main server (I run a seperate Linux box with Apache and could easily parse a current METAR into whatever format...)

Also, no more "sent weather" in the log :(. I guess there are just too many variables to give a description. I'll miss that from my log filter page I was making.

OK, that's enough for now, time for Russell to relax and breath again ...
Using free stuff to better the world...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alandtracysmith/CutRate/

Russell Gilbert

QuoteI wonder if I can get this in before b14 is sent out....
Better be quick  ;)

QuoteAny chance of giving us a weather variable?
I thought about that, but since the weather is now fully customizable, the weather names (Clear Skies, Fogged In, etc.) don't really mean much anymore.  They're more just starting points, and then you can change all the settings how you want.  However, I still think it would be good for FSHost to fill in a variable with standard info such as the cloud type, surface wind, precipitation, etc.  I'll definitely look into that.

QuoteTHe admins loved the idea of changing it, which is now gone ... guess there is only one that can control the weather now...
Yeah, this is a problem for the moment, because the amount of work to get all of that onto a web page is just more than I can think about right now.  I struggled with that one for quite a while before I finally realized that I had to remove it from the web pages until I could do the full version there also.  It was no use trying to do a limited version on the web if the console would be fully customizable.  Later hopefully...

QuoteSpeaking of which... Any chance of a "Send Weather" button?
Sorry, forgot to mention!  There's a new "send weather" item under the Server menu now.  I had to remove it from the Options window because of complications.  Haven't given up on the idea of putting it back on the Options window, it sure was handy.

QuoteOr a "Save As" to save a new predefined weather setting?
I knew someone would ask for that :-)  Later maybe...

QuoteThe fields look so much like a METAR, any chance we could read them from a file like the commands.txt, every x seconds? And could that file be a URL allowing us to update from files off the main server (I run a seperate Linux box with Apache and could easily parse a current METAR into whatever format...)
Definitely good ideas.  Once I can parse METAR info, it won't be hard to add real-time retrieval from external sources, whether it's a web site like noaa, or a text file like you mentioned.  On the list, definitely.

QuoteAlso, no more "sent weather" in the log :(.
No?  You sure?  I definitely still see it when I try it.

030913 09:18:11  Sent weather to all players
or
030913 09:18:40  Sent weather to OzzieYank

Russell

CowBoyGuy

OK, I see there are messages now, but I was setting those weather Icons in my log viewer on the weather names, and they are now gone :(

Russell Gilbert

Oh!  You mean like... "Sent weather to all players: Fogged In".  Yeah, not sure that's going to work anymore.  I mean, you could have it set to Clear Skies, and then change the visibility to 1/16 mile :-)

Russell

CowBoyGuy

One of my 2002 playershas had a problem with my National Air Tour hop list. So far, KFFA, KMQI, and KRIC are not being registered as 'arrived'. He never got KFFA arrived, but kept going and forced the Hoplist to 24, things seem better.

2002 N36* 1.31 W75 40.23
2004 N36* 1.26 W75 40.22

Not sure about what calculation to come up with the locations you use in airport.txt, but the current and the past beta's show KFFA as 36.0182 -75.6713. Here's his log from landing, the numbers are off just a little, but the Nearest airport reads correct:

030912  15:36:53  Beech Baron 58                       KFFA          17'  020°    67 kts  N36  1.06  W075 40.29  Flying
030912  15:36:56                                                                                                 Flying Time: 0d 0h 3m, Slew/Pause/Rate Time: 0d 0h 0m 0s
030912  15:36:58  Beech Baron 58                       KFFA          17'  019°    32 kts  N36  1.12  W075 40.27  On ground

Any Ideas?

Russell Gilbert

Hmm, strange.  No, no ideas off-hand, the main thing I usually look for is to see what FSHost thought his nearest airport was, but that seems to be correct.

You might zip up his pilot log and your hop list .fhl file, and email them to me, and I can take a look.  Also the FSHost log file might be helpful, or at least part of it, showing at least enough to see his last hop transition before KFFA.

Thanks,

Russell

Russell Gilbert

Quotethe Surface wind speeds(DIRECTION) needs adjusting?..whenever I set a surface windspeed(DIRECTION),the final displayed result after  60 secs............. there is an additional 6 degrees added to the final heading.ie 180 becomes 186....354 becomes 0!
It turns out that the problem is because of Magnetic Declination.  I'm guessing the airport where you tested this had a magdec value of +6 degrees.  When I tried it at KCGX, it was off by 1 degree, and at KLAX it was -14.

Right now FSHost is sending the weather to all players at once, regardless of their location.  I can see now that I'm going to have to look at each player's current latitude/longitude location, then lookup that location in the magdec file, and adjust the heading accordingly before sending out the message.  So each weather message will have to be sent individually.  Yuck :-(  Microsoft sure didn't make it easy on us programmers, did they.  Anyway, it's definitely possible, just not clean.  And you know how much I like clean solutions.

Nice job finding this one Chas!

Russell

PeterR

Microsoft != easy != elegant

But Russell always finds a way!
Peter
Bush Flying Unlimited
"At home in the wild"

jonf

I don't think the variance is really that important. If anything, it adds a touch or realism. When you get a weather report while flying, it's the weather report for an airport or weather station, not for the aircraft you are flying. There's no reason why the wind direction for a pilot would be exactly what ATIS reports. Also, ATIS information is only updated once an hour so it's not 100% accurate anyway. Wind directions change and a good pilot will take that into account. Currently, FS makes us lazy in this regard because we trust what we're told without question. Having a report that is a few degress off wil keep the pilots on their toes!

Russell Gilbert

Thanks Jon, but in this case it's already fixed  8)

Russell