Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ports and IP Address trouble  (Read 6096 times)

corvetteaus

Ports and IP Address trouble
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:05:06 AM »

I'm sure there is already a post out there that addresses this same issue, but when I searched for it...there was A LOT of results. So I would probably be better off just asking for help lol.

I'm setting up FSHost so me and a friend can fly together for the fun of it. I'm running FSX while he is running FS2004. When I try to run the server, I get the typical "Port 80" error. So I've been at it for a few hours and tried different ports, went into the router to open the port and I got it done. But I still get the error. So I check the IP Address and this is where I get confused. On the router, I look at my device thats connected to the router via WiFi. It says that the Private IP Address is 192.168.1.73.  But in the error I get from FSHost, my IP Address is 74.232.56.225. And according to whatismyip.com, the address is the same. So I'm pretty much stuck here and don't really know how to solve it.  :-\

corvetteaus

Re: Ports and IP Address trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »

UPDATE - My friend can connect through FS2004 and I still don't have the issues solved. I tried to connect using the FSHost Client since I have FSX and I'm not getting anything...

Air SeaTac

• Air SeaTac Virtual
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »

Need a LOT more information here

1)  I deduce from your post that FSX & FSHost are running on the same PC, is that correct?

2)  Is your friend connecting from the local network or the internet?

If '1' is correct the FSX user needs to use the IP 127.0.0.1

Homer

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »

It is necessary to open several ports and port ranges in your router in case your friend is connecting from external (which i assume). Port 80 (TCP) is just necessary to open a port to display the FS-Host server status page.

The way FSX connects is a bit more difficult than FS2004, but in every case you need to forward port 2302-2400, 6073 and 23456 (all UDP) to your internal IP adress (=192.168.1.73). www.portforward.com is a good resource how to forward ports. Also deactivate UPnP in your router since UPnP is overriding Portforward settings. Some, esp ISP given out routers, have a crippled firmware and are not able to forward the ports properly.

To test if it works run the FS-Host-Porttestprogram.

See link below for more infos about the Porttester.

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=737.0
The Ultimate Global Tours
http://99.225.112.96:9901/

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »

All good info from the other posters here -- thanks guys.  :)

One thing to add about the IP addresses...  192.168.1.73 is your internal IP, which is only valid inside your local network.  It's an IP that your router is probably assigning to your PC.  Assuming FSHost is running on the same machine, you would forward the necessary ports to that IP.  Anything beginning with 192.168 is an internal IP.

74.232.56.225 is your external IP, which you verified correctly with www.whatismyip.com. Anyone connecting to your session from outside your home would need to use that address.

You should run FS and FSHost on the same machine -- it's much simpler networking-wise.  Then connect your own FS to 127.0.0.1, which is always an alias for the same machine you're currently on.

Russell

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »

Oh, and you should definitely run FSPortTest, as Homer suggested. Anyone connecting to your session should forward the same ports on their machine and run FSPortTest to verify them as well. Once everyone in the session gets a clean bill of health from FSPortTest, life will be good again.

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything