Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky: Side by side configuration error  (Read 43790 times)

StyxUnsy

Sticky: Side by side configuration error
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:48 PM »

Hi all, I stumbled upon FSHost while looking for a better solution to the downright abysmal gamespy system on FSX. I downloaded the server side part of it, but when I went to open FSHost client it gives me the error: The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect.". I saw Russel Gilbert's post on the simconnect not being installed, but when I opened the MSI file it started and then closed with no error. My C++ redistributable appears to be installed fine too. My friend downloaded FShost client as well and he has the same error while opening FShost client.

Thank you for your time
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:22:29 PM by Russell Gilbert »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Side by side configuration error
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »

Hi,

It seems like that error is usually related to the C++ Redistributable package. I'd suggest uninstalling it (Control Panel / "Add or Remove Programs" -- or "Programs and Features" in Win7) and then reinstalling it.

You can download the C++ installer here:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (32-bit) - Version 8.0.50727.762
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (64-bit) - Version 8.0.50727.762
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471

If that doesn't fix it, try looking in the Event Viewer just after installing the C++ package, to make sure it installed ok:
  • In XP, go to Control Panel / "Performance and Maintenance" / "Administrative Tools" / "Event Viewer", then select Application. 
  • In Win7, go to Control Panel / "System and Security" / "Administrative Tools" / "Event Viewer", then select Application.
The most recent entries are usually at the top.  Take note of when you ran the installer, and look for entries starting at that time.  On my Win7 machine, I see several entries with the Source name of "MsiInstaller", but the most important one is probably the one that has this info:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable -- Configuration completed successfully.

If FSHostClient still won't run, try reinstalling SimConnect, which is the communication system that comes with FSX, and allows FSHostClient to talk with FSX.

To do that, you'll need DVD #1 from the Deluxe version of FSX, since the Standard version doesn't include the SDK.  First shut down FSX and FSHostClient.  Then load the FSX DVD #1, go to the SDK directory on the DVD, and run setup.exe.  After installing the SDK, go to the following directory on your PC and run "SimConnect.msi":

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib
or in Windows 7:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib

Then go back to the Event Viewer (see instructions above) and check for a successful install again. You may need to refresh or restart Event Viewer to see the latest entries.  Again, look for entries where the "Source" column says "MsiInstaller".  They should be near the top.  One of them should say:

Product: Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v10.0.61259.0 -- Installation completed successfully.

Then try FSHostClient again.

Russell
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:20:49 AM by Russell Gilbert »

StyxUnsy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »

Hi Russell, it appears I have about 7 copies of both the 2005 and 2008 redistributable, I will uninstall them all and let you know how it goes

AviatorX60

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »

When I try to run the FSHostclient.exe application, I get a side-by-side execution error, which produces this error entry in the event log. Any idea what could be causing this? I uninstalled and reinstalled MS VC++ 2005 Redistributable packages (both x86 and x64 versions) already. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\AviatorX60\Downloads\FSHost (FSX)\FSHostClient.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b",type="win32",version="10.0.61259.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:58:02 PM by AviatorX60 »

COJDK

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

I get this error as well. Tried installing the file that was linked to and events manager reports it installed correctly. Yet the error remains the same.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »

Hi,

I updated my post above with more thorough instructions, including new steps to reinstall SimConnect if the first part doesn't help.  Give that a try and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Russell

logo3801

Re: Sticky: Side by side configuration error
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

I have removed all of my C++ installs and installed a new fresh one along with installing SimConnect both are successful in the App logs in event viewer. Still I get the side by side configuration error.

Note:
Im running FSHost Server and players can connect and play on it. I just can't run FSHostClient.
Windows Ultimate 64 bit.
Ive tried the whole thing again and again with reboots and x86 C++ and just x64 C++

Please help! If you need any information I can get it for you!

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »

I have removed all of my C++ installs and installed a new fresh one along with installing SimConnect both are successful in the App logs in event viewer. Still I get the side by side configuration error.

Hi,

This is a frustrating, problem, I know. I've been doing lots of reading and experiments trying to figure out a solution that works for everyone.

Can you try running FSHostClient again, and then after you get the error, check to see if there's something in the event viewer about it?  Maybe there's an error message that will point us in the right direction.

Thanks,
Russell

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »

When you're looking in the Event Viewer, also look for entries with "SideBySide" in the "Source" column.  If you have any of those entries, they'll probably have a red exclamation point icon in the first column.

Thanks,
Russell

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

Ok, I have another idea...  :)

It seems like the basic problem is that either SimConnect isn't installed, or Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable isn't installed, or both.  So I made a little batch file that just looks for those directories under C:\Windows\WinSxS, and displays what it finds to the screen. So if you're having this problem, download the file "check_fshostclient.bat" that I'm attaching to this post (the link should be just under the post) and run it. Then either post a screenshot of it, or copy and paste the text back into a post here.

If you're not sure how to copy text from the window that opens when you run the file, here's how: click the little icon in the far upper left corner of the window, and select Edit / Select All. It should highlight all the text in white. Then press the Enter key, and it'll copy it to the clipboard. Then just paste it with Ctrl-V back into a post here.

Thanks,
Russell

Nicoskylark

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »

Hi, I have exactly that problem, even I reinstalled Windows 8 Pro x64, c++ libraries, fsx, simconnection and nothing, the strange thing is it was working ok and one day I wanted open it and this error appeared, please help! Tomorrow I will paste the batch file results, regards.

Nicoskylark

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »

Hi Russell, I reinstalled Windows, and then FSX+Acceleration, and then I download again FSHostClient and it come back to work again!! Thanks for this great program. Regards.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »

Hi Russell, I reinstalled Windows, and then FSX+Acceleration, and then I download again FSHostClient and it come back to work again!! Thanks for this great program. Regards.

Good to hear!

Just to be sure, do you really have Windows 8 like you said in your previous message, or do you have Windows 7?  Just curious.

Russell

Nicoskylark

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »

Hi Russell, now I have Windows 8 Pro x64 but before I had Windows 8 release preview and it works excellent. Regards from Argentina.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »

I've been working on this problem, and I think I may have found something.  If you're still unable to start FSHostClient without getting an error, try this 1.3 version of FSHostClient and let me know if it helps. Download the zip file and save it somewhere, and then unzip all the files in it to a new folder. Then run FSHostClient.exe.

http://chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.3.zip

Thanks,
Russell
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up