FSHost and FSHostSpy > Networks

FSPortTest, port 6073, and dpnsvr.exe

(1/3) > >>

Air SeaTac:
I'm trying to diagnose some connection issues some of our pilots have had recently.  I run FSHost as a service on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit).  I've run FSPortTest and this is the output -

FSPortTest version 1.6
Using server: www.chocolatesoftware.com

Testing ports for FS2002, FS2004, and FSHostClient for FSX...

Port 23456... OK
Port  6073... Error: timed out waiting for response
Port  2300... OK
Port  2301... OK
Port  2302... OK

All subsequent ports are ok, port 6073 UDP is open on the firewall (there's no port forwarding involved because we're directly connected to the internet), and port 6073 UDP shows up in netstat output.  Any suggestions why this port is timing out & whether it could contribute to connection issues?

Russell Gilbert:

--- Quote from: Air SeaTac on December 31, 2012, 04:16:16 AM ---I'm trying to diagnose some connection issues some of our pilots have had recently.

--- End quote ---

Hi,

One thing to check is that FSHost, FSHostClient, and Flight Simulator are all shut down before running FSPortTest.

You mentioned seeing port 6073 in netstat.  What is it showing exactly?

Thanks,
Russell

Air SeaTac:
'Netstat -an -p UDP' shows 'UDP    69.194.193.216:6073    *:*'

I thought I read somewhere that only the sessions needed to be stopped while running these tests, I've done that by using the 'Stop' butting in the Session tab on the web interface.  Do I have to stop FSHost in it's entirety before running the test?

Russell Gilbert:

--- Quote from: Air SeaTac on December 31, 2012, 07:10:40 AM ---From your answers I'm thinking maybe I've got this whole FSPortTest thing confused.

--- End quote ---

I think the netstat output is indicating that some other program is listening on 6073 and probably causing the problem.  Let's see if we can figure out which program it is.

Try running netstat with "-b" added to the end, to display the program involved.  So like this:

netstat -an -p UDP -b

Note that the program name seems to be listed below the port number, not above.

Russell

Air SeaTac:
That shows -

UDP    69.194.193.216:6073    *:*
  [dpnsvr.exe]

I Googled the .exe & it's the Microsoft Directplay server, so I guess the right program's listening on that port (I know 'listening' is not the right terminology for UDP)

Edit:  I've just checked Process Explorer & there's two instances of this program running, do you know if that's normal?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version