Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Port Checker Usage  (Read 3622 times)

Dangerousdave26

• Dangerousdave26 Sim-Outhouse.net
Port Checker Usage
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »

I was messing around with a batch file today to make FSPortTest_1.6.exe output to a text file.

It becomes a fairly simple redirect command but does not give a notice to press any key to exit.

That works but is not completely what I want as I know some users will have trouble running a batch file they think never ends.

So I started looking at the port checker program to see if it could internally generate a log file. I did not see a switch or argument that would tell it to generate a log file. What I did see is a -s option to use a different server.

When I try this to our server I get

FSPortTest version 1.6
Using server: www.sim-outhouse.net

Testing ports for FS2002, FS2004, and FSHostClient for FSX...

Port 23456... Error 404 requesting URL: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/cgi-bin/udpsend.cgi?23456

Testing complete.

Some tests were unable to be performed because of server timeouts.
Please try again.

Press any key to exit...

How can I set up my server to properly respond to this request?

Is there a way to output a log file from the Port Check Program other than redirecting?
See you all at the Outhouse

www.sim-outhouse.net aka SOH FC

www.sim-outhouse.com aka SOH

FS Host server www.sim-outhouse.net:8181

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Port Checker Usage
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:48:11 AM »

Hi,

FSPortTest connects to my server and communicates with a program that sends back messages. FSPortTest then watches for those incoming messages to see if the correct ports are open. The program that runs on the server isn't publicly available, so it's not something that you can run on your server. The -s option was added so that a user could switch to a different server if I needed them to, such as when my primary server is down. Usually though, it's not used, and for the time being, I'd prefer to keep the server-side program only on my server.

Sorry, there's not a log file option at the moment. I'll consider adding that in the future.

Thanks,
Russell

Dangerousdave26

• Dangerousdave26 Sim-Outhouse.net
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »

The log option would be very helpful when planning multiplayer races.

By making registration with the log mandatory to attend we could better resolve the issues with people connecting who think they have there ports forwarded correctly but do not.
See you all at the Outhouse

www.sim-outhouse.net aka SOH FC

www.sim-outhouse.com aka SOH

FS Host server www.sim-outhouse.net:8181

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »

I agree, the idea of requiring all users to prove their network is setup properly before joining an FSHost session is a good one, and one I've thought about as well.  It's a bit complicated because of the way DirectPlay works, but it's on my list of good ideas.

Thanks,
Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up