Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost there?  (Read 5614 times)

Hans_Palsson

Almost there?
« on: September 25, 2003, 07:20:30 PM »

Hi there!

Im a newbie - installed FSHost 3 today - my first attempt also in configuring my router to not only block...

I read a few other posts here, but I didnt find an answer, so here goes;

Im running FSHost on my PC1, and FS2004 on PC2. Theyre both behind my router/nat-firewall. I start a session in FShost, and it shows ok in FSHostSpy. Using my internal (LAN) IP I have no problems finding and joining my hosted session, but when using the external (WAN) IP FS2004 finds the session, but Im not able to join - "no connection" says a message... due to time-out I think. I also think that noone outside has been able to access neither, but my PC is not running 24/7...  :)

Ive opened up port 23456 for both PCs, and port 81, 6073 and 2302-2400 for PC1. I had to change Port 80 in FSHost to 81, since it reported that 80 was already in use...

Am I missing anything obvious here? All hints & tips most welcome!

Regards

/hans

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Almost there?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 08:51:30 PM »

Hi Hans,

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, although you probably only need to open 23456 and 81.  The other ports shouldn't be necessary when 23456 is available.  (that's something new in FS2004, most other DirectPlay games still need 6073 and 2302-2400)

The fact that FSHostSpy is finding your game ok means that at least port 81 is working ok, so we need to see about 23456.

Can you send me an email, or post here, when you have your server running again?  Maybe someone can try connecting to your game, to see if it's working.

You said you could connect to your game with the internal IP but not the external IP.  This isn't surprising actually, many routers have this problem -- I think it's called the "u-turn" problem (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong).  So I wouldn't worry too much about that, but let's see if anyone else can connect.

Russell

Hans_Palsson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 06:15:09 AM »

Hi everyone!

Im "up n running" again - youll find the session called "Hasses Airspace" at FSHostSpy or 213.112.119.124 (stats at http://213.112.119.124:81). This does not mean that the problem is solved, though...

Does port 81 also have to be opened on PC2, running FS2004, or only on the host, PC1?

Please try to connect and let me know... thanks in advance!

/hans

Hans_Palsson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 08:23:40 AM »

The fact that FSHostSpy is finding your game ok means that at least port 81 is working ok, so we need to see about 23456.

Hi Russell, and everyone else!

Hold yer horses! Having configured my router (a Dlink Dl-604) to open up port 23456 for both my PCs seems to be the cause of my problems. Once I reconfigured so that port 23456 only forwards to the PC running FSHost I can now connect to my own session using the "real" IP.

I still need some confirmation that other people also can connect, but otherwise it seems that my problem is solved! :D So I wont say thanks just yet, but... ;D

/hans

EDIT: Yez! That was it! Server ok, and working well according to the users so far! Russell, you got a postcard heading your way!  :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 01:26:55 PM by Hans_Palsson »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 06:45:10 PM »

Yep, seems to be working now :-)

Looking forward to the postcard you mentioned -- thanks!

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything