Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 WinSxS  (Read 4621 times)

Badapple

Windows 10 WinSxS
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »

I run Prepar3d v3 and have just installed Windows 10 (big mistake). 

Trying to run the FShostClientV1.4 I get the failed to start because of the side by side configuration.

Here are my problems:

1.  Microsoft Flight Simulator X cannot be installed on Windows 10 with the original disks.
  2.  trying different versions of Simconnect does not work.
  3.  There is NO access to the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder.  And permission can not be adjusted.
  4.  Reinstalling Windows 7 is no longer an option. Once you load Windows 10 and Microsoft knows, they screw up any attempt to reload, run and update Windows 7.

So now I am stuck with no way to connect using simconnect as before.   The installation of simconnect in the Prepar3d\Redist folder does not work either.

How about someone a ChocolateSoftware giving some help to some one who has made donations to the site about 8 years ago.

Thank you.
 :-[

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Windows 10 WinSxS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »

Hi, sorry you're having trouble.

There are a couple of things in what you said that I'm not sure about. You mentioned that you can't access the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder. But I'm definitely able to access it on my Windows 10 machine. Are you not able to see the folder at all? That being said, you can't really do much directly in that folder anyway, because Windows will replace any file changes you make with the original files. But being able to see it is sometimes useful to see which versions of SimConnect you have installed.

Also, I'm not sure I've tried installing FSX since I upgraded to Windows 10, but I haven't heard about any problems re-installing it. What kind of error are you getting?

I made a little batch file that just looks for directories under C:\Windows\WinSxS, and displays what it finds to the screen. Please download the file "check_fshostclient.bat" that I'm attaching to this post (the link should be just under the post) and run it. Then either post a screenshot of it, or copy and paste the text back into a post here.

If you're not sure how to copy text from the window that opens when you run the file, here's how: click the little icon in the far upper left corner of the window, and select Edit / Select All. It should highlight all the text in white. Then press the Enter key, and it'll copy it to the clipboard. Then just paste it with Ctrl-V back into a post here.

Let's start there and see what we find.

Thanks,
Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up