Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient  (Read 12956 times)

Fab10

Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »

Hi,
Will there be an update for P3D V4?
I am at present unable to change other player's aircraft types as the window is blank.
I am using Just flight Traffic 360, and it is working fine, and the P3D SimObjects DLL was updated.
With thanks,
Fabio
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:00:38 AM by Russell Gilbert »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: P3D V4: FSHC
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

Hi Fabio,

Sounds like they've updated Prepar3d to a new version and FSHostClient isn't able to find what it needs in the registry. I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it working correctly.

Thanks for letting me know,
Russell

Fab10

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

Just wondering whether you may have had some news on this?
Thanks,
Fabio

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »

It seems that every time they release a new version of Prepar3D, they change things and break FSHostClient's ability to connect to it. I'll get the latest version and try to release a new version of FSHostClient soon. I'll update this thread when I do.

Thanks,
Russell

Fab10

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:29:03 AM »

Greatly appreciated, as model matching within FSHC multiplayer environment isn't possible.
We are all seeing each other in Mooney's, LOL!

badapp1e

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

Its been a few years since I messed with this stuff but something does ring a bell.  I believe Microsoft Visual 2005 is set for X86 operation.  I think there is a switch to change when you want to use simconnect in a X64 enviroment.
I may be way off, but this rang a bell when I couldn't connect.

Just something else to throw into the thinking pot.

Steve

Dieter

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:07 AM »

Hello Russell,

many P3D v4 users are yearningly waiting for an update to get your excellent software running in connection with P3Dv4.
We all thank you very much indeed for your sustainable work to improve and to adapt your FsHost-software.

Sorry for asking, are there any news on this?

Regards
Dieter

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »

Sorry for asking, are there any news on this?

Hi there,

No problem, I know you guys are eager to get a fix.

I spent quite a bit of time on this the other day and didn't get very far. I have to say I've been pretty frustrated by the team that does P3D because it seems like every time they release a new version, they change things that cause my programs to not be able to communicate with theirs anymore. And the times that I've pointed this out to them in their forums, I got back pretty terse replies that indicated they had no interest in doing it any other way. This really doesn't give me a lot of incentive to make my programs work with theirs, as you can imagine.

Not to mention the fact that they charge $10-20 per month for a developer license, which seems excessive when I only need it to change my program whenever they change theirs. So I end up just paying for one month each time, to get their latest version and figure out what they changed. Those payments aren't much, but I suppose they just add frustration to the whole cat-and-mouse game.

Ok, enough venting. :-) I am still working on it though, and hope to have a fix as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Russell

vgbaron

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »

Since "we" all want Russell to continue his great work with FSH, I shamelessly suggest the "we" visit the Paypal donate button on the left.

I am heading there to cover a month or two.

;D

Vic

badapp1e

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »

It has been a long long time since I messed with any of this stuff.  However, simconnect also employs Microsoft Visual for some connection switches.
I may be off base but something tells me that a switch (or X64) version needs to be in place so that the x86 stuff doesn't get in the way.  FSHostClient I believe is 32 bit? 
What ever the case it is a small problem.  I had to install FSUIPC V5 for P3Dv4.  Flight Sim Commander works fine, perfectly even with AI traffic all over the place.

Just my two cents for you.  Thanks for working on this new problem.

Dieter

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:49 AM »

Hello Russell,

thanks for your detailed answer. I understand every developer's frustration with LM. Every new version or just a hotfix causes new problems.
Just today with the new hotfix LM just says:

"Please be aware that some third party developers might have to update their add-ons to be compatible with the hotfix. Please contact the third party developers directly for any compatibility questions."

Nevertheless I would like to thank you "remaining on the ball" for us.
It is admirable how many freeware developers still do so.

Just my personal opinion: if necessary a small fee on your software is something I could imagine.

Greetings
Dieter

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:21 AM »

Thanks for the support, guys. :)

Here's an update... I'm making progress finally. The problem has always been that different "flavors" of FS require different versions of SimConnect.dll. Microsoft's FSX requires a particular version, FSX Steam Edition requires a particular version, and Prepar3D requires a particular version -- and sometimes a new version of FS:SE or Prepar3D will come out that requires a new version of the dll. Juggling all these versions is tricky, and it's something that FSHostClient has never done very well. Basically each new build of FSHostClient just requires that it run with one particular version of SimConnect.dll, and it fails to even launch if you don't have that version of the dll installed. And that means that it only supports one (or possibly two) flavors of FS.

I'm changing things so that FSHostClient will detect which versions of SimConnect.dll you have installed, and then try each one to see if it can connect to any of the three flavors of FS. That way, one build of FSHostClient should support all flavors of FS, and all versions of SimConnect.dll, even new versions of the dll that get released in the future. That hopefully will mean I won't have to play cat-and-mouse anymore, and FSHostClient will just work with whatever comes along.

So far I have several parts of this plan working, and I can now find all versions of SimConnect.dll installed on the PC and load a particular dll on demand. But there are still several things left to do. As you know, I do this in evenings and on weekends, so I'm trying to fit it in when I can. I hate to give time estimates because they're never correct, but rest assured I'm working on it and want to get a new version of FSHostClient out there as soon as I can. I'll most likely release a couple of beta versions that you guys can try out, and see how they work with the various flavors of FS.

One thing you could do for me... I'd like to know how many flavors of FS you have installed (FSX, FSX:SE, Prepar3D) and which versions you have installed (FSX SP1, SP2, Prepar3D v1, v2, v3, v4, etc.) I'll probably need help testing FSHostClient with older versions especially. And I currently only have a Prepar3D license for v4 (do you have to buy a license for each new version that comes out?)

More info coming soon...

Thanks,
Russell

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »

...something tells me that a switch (or X64) version needs to be in place so that the x86 stuff doesn't get in the way.  FSHostClient I believe is 32 bit?

Yes, you're right, FSHostClient is 32-bit, but so far it hasn't been a problem even when running on a 64-bit operating system like Windows 10. Mainly the issues I'm having are all related to loading the various versions of SimConnect.dll, and I think I understand what needs to be done now. So in my case, I don't think there's anything I need to do for 64-bit operating systems, but I can understand how other addon programs might need to change things.

Thanks,
Russell

vgbaron

Re: Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »

Yes, you have to buy each major version 1,2,3,4 etc.

I am running P3D 3.4 and 4.0 - no more FSX but my flying buddies are running FSX Accel and FSX Sp2 respectively. We all are running all three versions of simconnect. You might have to remind some P3D users that ALL the versions of simconnect are in the REDIST folder in the P3D root.

Vic

badapp1e

Re: Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »

Thanks for the update Russell. It is really kind of you to keep us informed.
One thing about what you mentioned was the ability of FSHostClient to detect which Sim or Simconnect a user is going to use and it would automatically lock on.  That is a good idea. However, at the present time, I have FSX, P3dv3 and P3dv4 on my computer and all three (actually 4) simconnects are loaded in my system.  It would seem that since I have all of them loaded the particular application will choose which simconnect to use.

To explain:  While running P3Dv3 and FSCommander, it takes a certain simmconnect.  When I added Active Sky Next to my system "Next" would not connect.  Pilots Real Weather would connect. However, Pilots did not satisfy my "on demand now" weather and I want to run Active Sky.  So What I did was to install all simconnects into my system. That way the application would choose or dectect if the correct simconnect is available for use.  This method has work for me for a couple of years until P3Dv4. 

I am not being critical of your idea, but how would your idea be any different than what I am already doing?

What I have on my machine is included as an attachment:

Another item to help out if it hasn't been mentioned is while using P3Dv4 I had to get the new version of FSUIPC 5.  Once installed I opened P3D and FSCommander and they both work in harmoney without any modifications.  FSCommander does use Simconnect because if you don't have the right one loaded on your machine you will get the "side by side" error.

As I mention above.  I used to mess around with this stuff when computer where just getting on board and I was running Flight Simulator 5.  Something in the back of my head tells me it could be a Microsoft Visual switch.  I know that when you install P3Dv4  Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 is installed.  Maybe there is a new "thingy" or switch that just needs to be turned on.

I'll beta test for you if needed.

Regards;

Steve

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x254/badapp1e/d701927c-0a73-4f88-9898-6ae117213f4d_zpsaxjziqvh.png

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

anything