Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient  (Read 12520 times)

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Prepar3D v4 not detected by FSHostClient
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »

One thing about what you mentioned was the ability of FSHostClient to detect which Sim or Simconnect a user is going to use and it would automatically lock on.  That is a good idea. However, at the present time, I have FSX, P3dv3 and P3dv4 on my computer and all three (actually 4) simconnects are loaded in my system.  It would seem that since I have all of them loaded the particular application will choose which simconnect to use.

Hi Steve, thanks for the info.

My plan is to make FSHostClient work with FSX, FSX:SE, and Prepar3D, even if they're all installed on the same machine, and even if you have different versions of them. Here's how it works...

Right now FSHostClient requires a specific version of SimConnect.dll. If you don't have that version on your PC, FSHostClient won't start up at all. The idea is to change FSHostClient so it's not tied to a specific version of the dll, so it'll start up even if you don't have the dll installed at all. Then once it's running, it scans your PC (specifically the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory) to find out which versions of the dll you have installed. Then it'll load the first one, and try to use it to connect to Flight Simulator using SimConnect. If you have any flavor of FS running, it'll answer and send back info to FSHostClient to say which one it is. At that point FSHostClient knows where to look in the registry to find the other info it needs, and off it goes.

However, if FSHostClient loads a version of the dll and then it can't find any Flight Simulator running, one of two things is happening: 1) you haven't started FS yet, or 2) the FS you're running requires a different version of the dll so they can't communicate. At that point, FSHostClient will try the next dll it finds, and see if it can connect to FS. After it's tried all versions of the dll you have on your PC, it'll wait a second, and then try the whole search over again. This way, you can start FSHostClient first if you want, and then start FS afterward. Eventually what should happen is that FSHostClient loads the particular version of the dll that your FS needs, and they start communicating.

So the key here is which FS you're currently running, not which FS versions you have installed.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
Russell

badapp1e

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »

Thank you for you reply.
Yes, that explains your idea.  I think it is great.

Thanks for working on this P3D v4 problem.  I now it must be a heartache at times.  I donated to your cause about 10 years ago.  I'm sure I can donate again to help cover your cost to LM.  They have a great product (which they should have done when they worked on MSFS) but they are constantly changing and its costs a few $$$ to do so.

ahhhhhh,  the cost of flying.  Almost getting expensive just like flying for real.   LOL

Thanks,

Steve

Dieter

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 02:33:05 AM »

At the moment I'm just running FSX Gold and I'm using
- FSHostClient 1.4 for FSX and Prepar3D -  for multiplayer sessions, basically without any problems.

I additionally had P3Dv2.5 which isn't installed anymore (I used FSHostClient 1.4 for FSX and Prepar3D, I had no problems with the software.)

I bought already P3DV4 but this software is not yet installed.

Dieter

badapp1e

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »

I don't understand your post Dieter.

Whats up?

Dieter

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 02:29:05 AM »

Oh, sorry, this was just an answer on Russell's question above:
One thing you could do for me... I'd like to know how many flavors of FS you have installed (FSX, FSX:SE, Prepar3D) and which versions you have installed (FSX SP1, SP2, Prepar3D v1, v2, v3, v4, etc.)

badapp1e

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »

Any progress Russell?      ::)

Fab10

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »

Hi,
I have FSX:SE and P3D V4 installed at this time.
Hope it's all going well!
Fabio

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »

Hi,

I'm still working on a new version of FSHostClient that can dynamically load different versions of SimConnect.dll, but in the meantime I've created FSHostClient 1.5 beta 4, which should work with Prepar3D v4:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.5b4.zip

Note that previous versions of Prepar3D worked with SimConnect 10.0.60905.0, which was the original version released with FSX. In Prepar3D v4, it appears that they've changed it so that SimConnect 10.0.61259.0 is now required. This is the version that was installed with FSX SP2 and FSX Acceleration Pack.

If FSHostClient is unable to start, it's most likely because you don't have SimConnect 10.0.61259.0 installed. You can find the installer for it here, under your Prepar3D directory:

...\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib\SimConnect.msi

I'm also attaching an updated version of my test script "check_fshostclient.bat" to the bottom of this post, so you can check which versions of SimConnect you have installed. Just save the file somewhere on your PC (the FSHostClient install directory might be a good choice, but it doesn't matter) and double-click it to run it. You should see lines like the following indicating that you have 10.0.61259.0 installed (and perhaps several other versions as well):

>dir /a/b c:\windows\winsxs\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_*
x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568

>dir /a/b c:\windows\winsxs\manifests\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_*
x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568.cat
x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568.manifest

I also changed the location in the registry where Prepar3D stores its own install directory. FSHostClient uses this to find all the Prepar3D aircraft files, so this version should load all the aircraft correctly as well. If you go to Edit / Options in FSHostClient and enable "Log debug messages", you can see all the aircraft files being loaded when it first connects to Prepar3D.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Russell

badapp1e

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »

Thank you so much for the update Russell.  I know so many of us out here thank you and appreciate what you do for the Flight Sim community.

Steve

vgbaron

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

Haven't had much time to test but mew client syncs with old FSHServer fine. Client connected to my V4 with no issues.

Vic

Fab10

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for the update to V15b4.
The list FSHC offers me is that of my other aircraft, but not including those of my AI program (as FSHC has done previously).
The simobjects.cfg file where the path to AI is now under:
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This contains the simobjects that were previously kept in FSX.CFG or P3D.CFG.
Hope this helps, very happy at least to have some options!
Thanks,
Fabio

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »

The simobjects.cfg file where the path to AI is now under:
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This contains the simobjects that were previously kept in FSX.CFG or P3D.CFG.

Yes, FSHostClient is looking directly in the "SimObjects" folder of the main Prepar3D directory to find all the subfolders containing aircraft. It used to use the Prepar3D.cfg file but after they removed the aircraft locations from that file I just skipped it completely and now look in the folders directly. So if you have other folders somewhere else, FSHostClient isn't going to find them.

One quick fix might be to just copy all your other aircraft into the SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

Could you please copy and paste the contents of your simobjects.cfg file here for me to take a look at?

Thanks,
Russell

Fab10

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 02:19:22 AM »

Hi,

Apologies for my late reply.

Just Flight Traffic 360 is installed into a subfolder of SimObjects, and an entry relating to this is made in SimObjects:
Path=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.3]
Title=Default Ground Vehicles
Path=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.4]
Title=Default Boats
Path=SimObjects\Boats
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.5]
Title=Default Animals
Path=SimObjects\Animals
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.6]
Title=Default Misc
Path=SimObjects\Misc
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.7]
Title=Default Submersible
Path=SimObjects\Submersible
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.8]
Title=Default Weapons
Path=SimObjects\Weapons
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.9]
Title=Default Countermeasures
Path=SimObjects\Countermeasures
Required=True
Active=True
[Entry.10]
Title=Default JFTraffic360
Path=SimObjects\JFTraffic360
Required=True
Active=True

I have copied my JF AI objects into the "airplanes" subdir of SimObjects, but of course I have had to bulk change the "title" lines of each aircraft CFG to prevent the on-load error of "there are multiple instance of..." when you have the same or similarly named repaint listed more than once.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate the updates to FSHC that you are working on, and I don't want it to be a thankless task - I am sure that we all appreciate your work very much! :-)

Best wishes,
Fabio

fsatc2

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

Russell,

Is there something I can change to have P3D show up as Game type,
Currently it is showing P3D as FSX

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »

Is there something I can change to have P3D show up as Game type,
Currently it is showing P3D as FSX

This should probably be in a different thread, but the quick answer is that FSHost displays all Prepar3D players as FSX players at the moment, but I have plans to fix that with a new version of FSHost some time in the future. Sorry, I don't have a time estimate for it though.

Thanks,
Russell
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

anything