Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network problem with FSHost3.0?  (Read 5297 times)

ajc129

Network problem with FSHost3.0?
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:29:25 PM »

Hi! First, thanks for the great program.
I want to host a session for the virtual airline I fly for, but am having issues.
I've read the other posts here regarding this matter, but none really suit my situation.
Here goes:
Two machines. One a server, one my computer I use for FS2004. I want to run FSHost 24hours a day on my server which is connected permanently to the internet via cable. It runs XP Pro, has directx9.0b, 256mb ram (runs the program fine and others can connect to it.) This computer has a fixed IP address supplied by the isp.

My computer XP Home, 1.0gb ram, directx9.0b, FS2004 is connected the the server through a hub (no, not a router and I don't want to buy one). This computer is connected with the XP home network wizard, which has a 'bridged' connection.
I can find the FSHost session running on the server the instant I log in to multiplayer. But, on clicking join, FS2004 just sits there.. After a reasonable period of time (over a minute) it comes up that it cannot connect to session, and I'm back to scratch. It's got me beat. I don't have problems joining to a session if any of my roommates host a 2004 session on one of their computers (five computers on this network), so I'm thinking (emphasis on thinking) that this is something FSHost might not be set up to do.
I've tried the remedies recommended here, including the answers in "connect over ICS" to enable netbios over tcp/ip but this hasn't helped either.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Network problem with FSHost3.0?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »

Hi,

Yeah, that sounds like exactly what I have setup here.  Two XP machines, one connected directly to cable (no router), and using ICS to share the connection to a hub (actually a switch), which then connects to the second machine.

The gateway machine has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.1, and "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is set in the TCP/IP properties of the LAN network card.

You mentioned that you're using the XP home network wizard, which is fine, but you also said it's a "bridged" connection.  I'm not positive, but I think bridged connections are for when you're connecting one local network to another local network -- in other words, if you had two separate lan's in your house.  It sounds like you just have one lan, like I do, so I would think that you don't want to use the bridge option.

Here's what I do...  On the second machine, I start the Network Setup Wizard, and click Next a couple of times. Then I select "This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network...", and click Next.  Then I fill in the computer info and the workgroup name (which is the same workgroup name that the gateway machine is using).  And then skip the setup disk and finish the wizard.  That sets it up for automatic IP using DHCP, and the default setting for NetBIOS, which is fine.

Then in FS2004 on the second machine, I can leave the IP field blank, enter 192.168.0.1, or enter my external IP, and FS is able to connect to FSHost on the gateway machine with no problem.

Take another look at the wizard and let us know what you find.

Russell

ajc129

Re: Network problem with FSHost3.0?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »

Thanks Russell. I'm not sure why my computer has the bridged connection when my roommates do not on their machines. I've tried disabling it, but have had issues with the network when I've tried. I'll try deleting my network connections and try to set up a new one as you said, and see what happens. (and be sure to let you know) Thanks again

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything