Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here is another strange one  (Read 5290 times)

Chris

Here is another strange one
« on: February 27, 2004, 06:52:32 PM »

I have a Linksys Router, and Win2k server on cable.  I have the default ports forwarded to the correct IP addy.  I connect to the session from my local network.  Then one of the other guys connect.  We can fly for about 90 secs and then he is dumped from the session.  Once he is dumped he cannot reconnect.  My test guy does not have a router on his end.  He does not have a router but does have a firewall. He does not have a problem connecting to other servers so I am convinced the problem is on my end.  Any ideas as to where I can start looking?

Chris
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 06:53:46 PM by Chris »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Here is another strange one
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 11:23:39 PM »

Hi Chris,

Tough problem.  But the first place I'd start is to disable that firewall of his.

He might also try connecting to your FSHost using a different "Connect" port.  From the multiplayer connect screen in FS2004, click "Client Settings" and change the Connect port to something like 23457, 24000, 1000, etc.

Also, you might post exactly which ports you forwarded, just so we can be sure.

Russell

Chris

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »

Ok.  I have narrowed this one down.  Everyone external to my network can connect and fly fine.  It is when I connect to the server via my local network that everything heads south.  Within 30 secs people start droping off.  I have to reset the port forwarding for them to be able to connect again.  FS Host is on it's own dedicated server.  Any ideas?

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 10:54:44 PM »

I think what's happening is that since you're connecting from a local machine on your network, it could be that the other players are being told about your "internal" IP, rather than your external IP.  So you might be connecting from an internal IP such as 192.168.0.1, and when they try to connect to that, it doesn't work.

There are three ways you can connect...  with the internal IP of FSHost (192.168.x.x), with the external IP of FSHost, and by leaving the IP field blank (which probably ends up using the internal IP).  I'd try all three methods to see if there's any difference.

It seems like using the external IP would be best, because then that IP would be given to the other players, which they could connect to.  But apparently some routers have a problem with this -- it's called a "u-turn", because when you connect to FSHost, you're trying to go out to the internet and back in to FSHost through the external IP.  But when FSHost tries to answer and send something back, it basically ends up sending it to its own IP, and it doens't make it back to the original machine that sent it.  There's more info about this in the last post on page 2 of this thread:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=networks;action=display;num=1058801637;start=29#29

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up