Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ban with reason  (Read 6208 times)

Bob

Ban with reason
« on: August 06, 2006, 06:15:39 AM »

Would it be possible to have field in the ban area to add a reason ?

Also a custom message when a Banned player attempted to connect or re-connect ?

Something like: " {IP= XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - Name} - You are no longer welcome on this server, You are a thief and an obnoxious brat"

Ok, maybe a bit harsh :)

Also maybe (just maybe) some type of shared database for the worse of the worst ofenders, that respectable fshost server hosts could subsrcibe to.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:21:58 AM by Bob »

Corrupthawk

• FSEF.HOPTO.ORG
    • EliteFlyers
Re: Ban with reason
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:19:54 AM »

I like the idea of the "Master" banlist.  Somewhat like punkbuster has.  The only bad thing with a "master" list would be who would be the ones to add to it.  I know a few respectable fshost admins but they too have certain individuals they just can't stand whereas in other servers they're decent people.  Most of the annoying ones can change their IP anyways so when banning an IP range you would have to watch to make sure you don't ban any of your own members.
EliteFlyers -- We've got YOU covered coast to coast!!

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »

I really like the "ban with reason" idea.  I can see how the ban window could be modified to accept a text message that would be sent back to the player when they tried to reconnect.  Right now they just always get "You have been banned from this server."  And possibly a different message only shown to the admins, so they know more of the details.

Only problem is that this will only work in FS2004, but it's probably worth doing anyway.  FS2002 doesn't have the ability for the host to send back a message when they're being rejected.

The master ban list has been an idea floating around for a while now, and I agree that there are a lot of problems to be worked out still.  Who's watching the watchers?   ;)  But the recent suggestion of being able to at least share them among FSHost servers on the same machine would at least help.

Russell

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »

Guys,

I've added the "ban with reason" feature to version 3.1, which is now available on the web site.  Please note that this is the full, final release of version 3.1, but I haven't announced it yet (other than right here  :)).  If you have a moment, please check out this feature and let me know if you find any problems.  Otherwise I'll be releasing the final version of 3.1 in a few hours, since beta 30 will be expiring in Australia and New Zealand soon.

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHost31.zip

Thanks!
Russell

Abyss

• just give me a good ol' P-51
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 11:05:35 AM »

sounds good...the master list could be set up to reside on a special server and the admins would some how be notified by a private message of some kind to the FShost (or to thier email if specified) that could read

"Dear FShost admin, the fillowing IPs were reciently added to our master banned list, pleast take a few moments to review them"

<link would be put here to access ENTIRE listing (database of some type)>

<nother message incerted here with most recient added bans and would read somthin like this>

"The following were added on Lunes, 13 de noviembre, 2006"

IP#1: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:<incert port here if possible>
    REASON: attempting to hack server

IP#2: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:<incert port here if possible>
    REASON: Swearing after being asked by administration staff to stop

IP#3: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:<incert port here if possible>
    REASON: attempted to crash server via "denial of servises attack"

IP#4: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:<incert port here if possible>
    REASON: Not listening or following ATC directions/instructions

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK THE FULL LIST FOR OTHER RECIENTLY ADDED BANS TO ENSURE YOUR SERVER IS UPTO DATE WITH OUR BAN LIST (or to slect which bans you want to add or leave out of your server ban list)

Again thats just an idea but i think it could work with some time and effort(s)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything