Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting problem with network  (Read 6200 times)

Kimchoc1

• 09/11/01  We will never forget.....
Interesting problem with network
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:48:12 PM »

I'm running a computer on my wireless Linksys network that hosts serveral games, Ghost recon, BF42, OFP, Teamspeak and RW,  The computer is setup on the network as a DMZ host, thus allowing all traffic through.  or thats the way i understood it until installing FS2002 this AM.
 Normally I will connect to my host computer, with my client machine,  by using my IP address. I tried with FS2004 and it cant be seen.  On the host/DMZ computer, i tried connecting to another FS host.  No problems.  I started another game and had my buddie connect, No problems, thus qualifying my hosting connection.
 I installed FSHost and got the port 80 error.  This is confusing cause I thoguh ALL ports were open when assigned as a DMZ host.
 You guys have any ideas or suggestions?  Maybe i missed something.  
Both comps are XP and ther are No firewalls running on either. No XP firewall either.  Like I said, the connection is qualified by all the other games I can run.
Thanks.... ???
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:51:33 PM by Kimchoc1 »

jonf

• Guru
    • Livewire Airlines
Re: Interesting problem with network
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »

Many times port 80 is disabled by the ISP to prevent people from hosting web sites on their home computers. So even if you've enabled DMZ that port may still be blocked from internet traffic.

Kimchoc1

• 09/11/01  We will never forget.....
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 06:30:10 PM »

hmmm, interesting, so that will explain why Fshost wont work..
what do you think about FS2002 though?  Is that a port that is required for it to work?  I cant hardly imagine that.  No one would be able to host if thats the case.

>update<
So if someone could please comment on why with NO firewalls, NO antivirus, no anything, this port 80 is holding up the FShost? Is it a FS2002 issue?  I'd buy another copy of FS2004 if I knew IT would work...
or can I change Fshost to use another port if it is a fact that my ISP is blocking me?

>update<
Ok, after changing the port 80 number to another one, it shows up in Fshost and I was able to connect with Fs2004 on my client machine..I have no idea what I did other than using Fshost to host the game and changing the number to somethign other than 80.  Maybe this info will help someone else..tks for all the reads...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 09:51:16 PM by Kimchoc1 »

Mark_Cherry

• Blimey! Is that the time??
    • My PC Spec
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:23:05 PM »

Hi Kimchoc,

it sounds like something on your system has port 80 already in use. If you're hosting all these other games in the background, maybe one of them is doing it? Check the documentation for each of them, maybe.

Port 80 is the standard port Windows uses if you are running a webserver on your PC. In other words anyone on the internet can see some of the contents of your computer, just by knowing its current IP. This is particularly of concern since you are not running a firewall at the moment.

Even more so if you have not purposefully set up a webserver yourself. Perhaps a piece of Spyware has worked its way onto your machine and has created its own webserver?

If you want to check your system for things like this, here are some useful links to try
Spybot Search and Destroy (Freeware)
http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
Network Associates Stinger Anti-Virus/Trojan detection and cleaning (Freeware)
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
(equivalent to .dat file and engine for McAfee Virus Scan users)
PestPatrol (Freeware)
http://www.pestpatrol.com/
Ad-Aware 6.0  Adware scanner & removal tool (Freeware  for Scan-only, Payware for object removal functions)
http://www.lavasoft.com/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Other than that, I'm sure it would be possible to host all these games with a Firewall in place, just a matter of setting up 'permissions' for the various ports (or ranges of ports) which your users would need to be able to gain access. That's worth another thread, I reckon.  ;)

HTH
regards,

Mark
NA698G
AHC Noble Air London Gatwick Hub

Kimchoc1

• 09/11/01 &nbsp;We will never forget.....
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:15:23 AM »

Got yas, tks for the reply.  I actually sorted it out a few weeks ago by changing the port # for the hosting.  Works fine since then.  Tks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up