Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem trying to get FSHost running using router  (Read 5956 times)

Jon_Fox

Problem trying to get FSHost running using router
« on: October 16, 2004, 08:25:07 PM »

Hi, I've been trying to get FShost working now with FS2004 since yesterday and I can't do a thing with it?!?  What I've done so far is to try and get other people from the MSN gaming zone to join but they can't find the IP address that I'm advertising on there.  It basically doesn't work the way I've been setting it up and I'm getting annoyed now because I don't know what else to do.  My router is a D-Link router and I'm running it on 1MB DSL connection, I've tried to forward the ports for it which I've been given some help from others from the zone but I can't get anybody else to connect, it just doesn't want to do it.

I've also tried to change the settings within FSHost too but that didn't work either.  Just now I was messing with it again and set the DMZ on the IP address of the machine that I was running FSHost on to see if anybody could get a connection and even that didn't work.  It's like the IP address that I've put in the game room in the zone has been the router address, currently 81.153.130.84 and the IP address of the machine I'm running FSHost on is 192.168.1.2 and still no connections from the outside.  I can connect to my FSHost from my other PC on my LAN ok and join the game from simply entering the 192.168.1.2 address within FS2004 and that works fine but can't do much more?

My router is a NAT based router but surely when I put the FSHost machine into the DMZ it wouldn't matter, or would it?  I don't know what else to do now to try and get the server running so I can invite others to join, can you suggest where I'm going wrong here and offer me a good explaination on what to do to set it up properly, many thanks..

Jon Fox
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 08:25:34 PM by Jon_Fox »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Problem trying to get FSHost running using rou
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 08:34:33 PM »

Hi Jon,

Can you tell us a bit more info?  Which D-Link router do you have?  Also, please let us know the exact details of which ports you've tried forwarding (be sure to include the port numbers as well as the port types (TCP/UDP) if your router supports that, and all the IP addresses involved.

You might also let us know when you have it running (and post again when you shut it down), so we can try to connect.

Hopefully someone will be able to help.  Thanks,

Russell

Jon_Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 10:04:37 PM »

Hi Russell,

My router is a D-Link DSL-504T

What the guy in the zone said was to forward ports TCP 23456 and TCP 23457, also TCP 81.  Then to change the settings in FSHost from the Options menu to Session/2004 host port 23457 instead of 23456 and Remote access/Accept connections on port 81 instead of 80.  

He said that the other users should connect through TCP 23457 on the remote address, the address of my router and I should connect through TCP 23456 on the LAN address but it didn't work and I wasn't sure if the ports were right?

My router does support both TCP and UDP.  What I can do is provide the IP addresses for both router and LAN machine when you can confirm that I'm forwarding the correct ports and I'll be sure to set it running at a certain time to test it out.

Many thanks,

Jon

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 10:27:21 PM »

Hi Jon,

Here are the ports you should be forwarding from your router to the PC running FSHost:

UDP 23456
UDP 6073
UDP 2300 to 2400 (the entire range)
TCP 47624
TCP 80

Set FSHost to use the default FS2004 hosting port (23456) on the Options / Session window, and the default Remote Access port (80) on the Options / Remote Access window.

You can find out more in the FSHost Help page:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?help#ports

Russell

Jon_Fox

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 04:00:06 AM »

Yep, I got it working  ;D

That's much better now, I had a couple of people connecting and it's great, thanks very much for your help.  Those ports were fine and I'll make sure it's those same ones that I use in the future also.

Many thanks Russell..

Jon

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 04:03:37 AM »

Great to hear, Jon!  

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything