Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something strange  (Read 7560 times)

JStenger

• FlightProject International
Something strange
« on: July 06, 2003, 04:26:38 PM »

Hi there,

I am connected to the Internet with a software Linux router, using NAT (FLI4L - http://www.fli4l.de ).

I have the hi ports open in the firewall and forwarded tcp and udp 2300-2400 to the machine I run the FS2002 on.

With these settings I tried to connect to the FSHost server of the FSC e.V. ( http://www.fsc-ev.de ) and got disconnected from the server. The server admin told me that his log showed that 2300 and 2400 where not open on my side.

I tried several times but always got removed from the MP session after about 1 minute. I then tried to log on and directely after the connection I opened the chat window and typed "?help", i.e. I did send something to the FSHost server. I then moved to the first place of the hop list and typed "?hop".

Since then, whenever I log in, the system greets me with the "Your next hop is..." message and I stay connected.

Like I said - I didn't change anything on the router.

Any ideas why I couldn't log on during my first tries?

Jörg
--
FlightProject International (FPI)
Joerg Stenger
FPI PR Admin / Training Admin
http://www.flightproject.net

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Something strange
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 07:46:48 PM »

Hi Jörg,

This is an interesting one.  I haven't heard it before, but I think I know what's happening.

First, the reason you're being disconnected is because your FS2002 keeps sending the same request message to FSHost over and over, even though FSHost has responded to the request several times.  But the responses aren't getting back to your FS2002 for some reason (almost certainly because of your router though).  So after a certain number of requests from your FS2002, FSHost disconnects you, so that you don't interfere with the game.  There have been problems in the past where a player like this caused everyone in the session to be disconnected, so I added some code to disconnect players that aren't receiving the responses correctly.  You wouldn't be able to see all of the other players anyway, since you're not receiving all the data.  When this happens, FSHost prints out a message in the log window like the admin described.

Now, what's interesting is that when you connected and then immediately sent a message to FSHost, it didn't disconnect you.  That tells me that your router was blocking incoming data in the 2300-2400 range, but after you sent something out on that range, it started to allow incoming data to pass through.  Sometimes routers automatically let data come in on certain ports if they see data going out on the same ports, because they decide that if data is going out, it must be ok to let it come in also.  Also, you can setup a "Trigger", which tells the router to let data come in on a particular port if it sees data going out on a particular port.  But unless you set that up yourself, it's probably the first case, doing it automatically.  I can't really say why it didn't work before though, since you said you forwarded the ports.  But I haven't had very much luck with routers and DirectPlay, so I'd say you're lucky to find a solution at all :-)

Russell

JStenger

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 08:13:46 PM »

Hi Rus,

yeah - being a "half-initiated" comp guru myself - I figured out the same ;) Somehow my direct inquiries to the host must have triggered something. Could well be that my software router just needed that - do you store call-signs or IP's on the host or the local computer? I still use the 1.x software version while the FLI4L router is already at 2.x - they might have found out what has prevent me from joining the host in the first attempts?

Call me old fashioned, but I believe in "never change a running systen", so I never upgraded to the 2.x version of the router because everything else works fine (and now even FSHost does ;) ).

Nevertheless I'm impressed with your work! It is geat for VA's who run their own MP server! Keep it up!

Best regards,
Jörg
--
Joerg Stenger

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »

Hi Jörg,

do you store call-signs or IP's on the host or the local computer?

Well, FSHost knows each player's IP address, but all of the network communication is handled by DirectPlay (part of DirectX).  FSHost isn't able to store anything on the local computer, only the server.

Nevertheless I'm impressed with your work! It is geat for VA's who run their own MP server! Keep it up!

Thanks!  :-)

Russell

JStenger

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 09:18:58 PM »

Hi Rus,

Just for a possible FAQ or somehting - here are the relevant lines of the portfw.sh on the FLI4L Router (should be generic for any unix based router):
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -v -r udp  2300  2400 -h 192.168.0.XXX
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm autofw -A -v -r tcp  2300  2400 -h 192.168.0.XXX

just replace the IP at the end of the line with your fixed ID you gave the computer behind the NAT router.

Best Regards,
Jörg
--
Joerg Stenger

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 09:29:57 PM »

Thanks Jörg!  I've added this info to the FSHost help page.

Russell

PeterR

• Bush Flying Unlimited
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 10:06:40 PM »

Jorg,

Did you open the firewall for incoming data on ports 2300-2400, not just outgoing? Usually you have to open the ports incoming along with setting up forwarding or the packets get stopped before they can be forwarded.

I don't remember if FLI4LI uses a stateful firewall. If it does, that might explain why it blocked traffic to 2300-2400 until your LAN sent a packet out first. Check to see if you can specifically open 2300-2400 for inbound traffic.
Peter
Bush Flying Unlimited
"At home in the wild"
Pages: [1]   Go Up