Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Ports Do I Need?  (Read 7221 times)

bilbo_89

What Ports Do I Need?
« on: November 27, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »

Hello. I am pretty familar with the whole port forwarding scene and my router with FS9. This is my problem. I forward some ports to the correct machine and I know they are the correct ports because it let's my connect to a given session BUT only for about the first 7-9 seesions. After I disconnect from my ninth session (guestimate) after my reconfiguration of the ports, it will no longer let connect to another game. So I go back and reconfigure again and it works for like the first 7-9 sessions or so, then won't let me connect to anymore again. I am having the blues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to know the correct ports to be forwarded, and if there is a better router for gaming (I have a D-Link DI-624, and have noticed MANY other people having trouble with D-Link routers). All the machines on my network are XP. PLease Help.

Thanks
-Nick

bilbo_89

Re: What Ports Do I Need?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »

Also, can someone explain to me what a trigger port is and how I can use it to open multiple ports, and port ranges?

-Nick

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 07:52:20 AM »

Hi Nick,

All of the ports you need to forward are listed on the Help page.

Triggers are a way of telling the router to open a particular incoming port when it sees data going out on a different port.  You don't need triggers for this though...  it's better to just forward the ports, because that way they're always setup, regardless of what data you're sending out.

Russell

bilbo_89

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:02:55 AM »

Ok gotcha, but how am I gonna forward the port ranges 2302-2400? I can't do that one by one. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
-Nick

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:15:29 AM »

That's a good question.  According to the manual for that router, it only seems to support single port forwarding (on the Advanced / Virtual Server page).

One thing you can try is to just forward TCP 23456, which should cover you for FS2004.  At least for most people.  There will occasionally be a person that has trouble connecting that way, but it should be ok for most people, since 23456 is the default port that FS2004 tries to connect on, and the default port that FSHosts 2004 sessions on.  You'll still need to forward the ports for FS2002 also, if you're supporting that version.

Russell

bilbo_89

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 10:50:13 AM »

I forwarded 23456 and still nothing. Now that I have my FSHost server up, I have typed in my IP address in the FS9 multiplayer connect screen and and I press search. It finds nothing. Any Ideas (I know it's the ports)?

-Nick

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:58:53 AM »

Did you change your own FS9 to search on a different port?  See the FAQ for details...

Also try the IP "127.0.0.1", which always points back to your own machine -- or try leaving the IP field blank.

Russell
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 10:59:47 AM by russell »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 11:02:29 AM »

BTW, I did a test just now, and connected to your session ok with FS2004.  It also shows up ok in FSHostSpy.

Russell

bilbo_89

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 11:27:56 AM »

Yeah I changed the connect port to 23459 and searched for it and it showed up! You have been awesome, thanks for all the help!

-Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up