Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: join two fshost servers  (Read 6878 times)

luisma

• Simucoruna
join two fshost servers
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »

I'm running fshost for a small group of fs fans. When there're few people (till 10) flying, things works ok. But one day at week we join for a mp fly. And some people starts to get problems with connections. I supose it's a bandwidth problem (I'm running on a 512/128 ADSL link).

First thing will be to change TS server to another connection, but I'll like to put another FShost in a diferent place to balance the charge.

Is it any way to interconnect two fshost servers?
Best Regards

Luis
SCU-LMB

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: join two fshost servers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 06:26:33 AM »

Hi,

This would be a great thing to have, but it's unfortunately very complicated.  Here's an old thread where we discussed this idea in some detail:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wish;action=display;num=1057485183

Russell

luisma

• Simucoruna
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:59:43 AM »

Hi, Russell,

Ok, I see it's a difficult feature...

Do you have any idea to improve the number of players a single connection can manage?
Best Regards

Luis
SCU-LMB

jonf

• Guru
    • Livewire Airlines
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 10:24:08 AM »

Increase available bandwidth and ask modem users to connect last or not at all during busy times. When a player with a 56k modem is connected during a busy session then he'll prevent high-speed pilots from connecting. When that high-speed connection pilot tries to connect he needs to establish a connection with that 56k modem pilot and if there are a lot of pilots already online then the 56k modem is too busy to handle another connection and the high-speed pilot trying to connect will get a rejection message saying he can't connect to all players.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 11:37:54 AM »

Unfortunately, since FS uses the p2p model, which connects all players to all other players (i.e. the data is not relayed through the server), there's not a whole lot that can be done.  FS uses DirectPlay (part of DirectX), and in the docs for it, it suggests a max player limit of 16 with the p2p model, which explains the limit that MS put in FS to begin with.  Of course, there are lots of sites that run sessions with 30 players or more, but eventually things become unstable when the bandwidth requirements exceed what all the players in the session can keep up with.

The only solution I've thought about is a client-side program that would host a local session and relay all the data up to the server.  Then it could throttle the data and limit the bandwidth, and also either relay all the data through the server, or use a system where the relayed data was sent very infrequently, and more-frequent data was only sent to other players within a certain range of nm.  This is essentially what programs like Squawkbox and FPI's client program do, although they don't do it the same way.  It's a massive project tho, and one that I'm not excited about doing in the near future.  Maybe it'll happen one day though.

Russell

luisma

• Simucoruna
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:26:45 AM »

Thanks for your help. I have now a couple of ideas to deal with.

Best Regards

Luis
SCU-LMB

SpectroPro

• Come fly with us!
    • Flight Simulator Design U
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:17:15 PM »

Unfortunately, since FS uses the p2p model, which connects all players to all other players (i.e. the data is not relayed through the server), there's not a whole lot that can be done.  FS uses DirectPlay (part of DirectX), and in the docs for it, it suggests a max player limit of 16 with the p2p model, which explains the limit that MS put in FS to begin with.  Of course, there are lots of sites that run sessions with 30 players or more, but eventually things become unstable when the bandwidth requirements exceed what all the players in the session can keep up with.

The only solution I've thought about is a client-side program that would host a local session and relay all the data up to the server.  Then it could throttle the data and limit the bandwidth, and also either relay all the data through the server, or use a system where the relayed data was sent very infrequently, and more-frequent data was only sent to other players within a certain range of nm.  This is essentially what programs like Squawkbox and FPI's client program do, although they don't do it the same way.  It's a massive project tho, and one that I'm not excited about doing in the near future.  Maybe it'll happen one day though.

Russell

That is exactly what is needed.  MS should have done this originally.  This would eliminate the bottleneck and fix the problem once and for all.  The clients would only get what they are able to receive.
- Join the Online University for Flight Simulator Design:  http://www.fsduonline.com/  
FlightSim Design University  -  Teaching how to design scenery, models, planes, mesh, AI traffic, and more...

sonjamichelle

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 02:58:14 AM »

Switching to the client server model should definately be something EVERYONE should be adding to their wishlists for the next version. Not only should it be added but the justification, data and possbilities that switch would open up for us in the FS community. Unfortunately this desire ends up in competing with an already exisiting MS product, MS Gaming Zone. FSHost is inn direct competition with that market. Therefore MS may be hesitant to implement anything that will either break their MSGZ support or take away from it's profit margin, no matter how much the community or designers desire to implement a much better feature.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 08:24:04 AM by sonjamichelle »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything