Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master Server errors  (Read 8048 times)

Paul_Eriksen

Master Server errors
« on: April 09, 2005, 06:28:36 AM »

I know I doing something wrong but I don't know what. I am using a Netgear wireless router and I think I have gone through everything as suggested in the FAQs ,etc. I can't attach to the prime server. I keep getting the message that the server tried to access a web page and got the wrong page back and it says the IP adress is wrong. I used IPCONFIG and got my numbers from there and also retrieved my computer address but all to no avail.  I even left the ip adress entry blank for auto detect but that didn't help either.
Paul
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 11:56:33 AM by russell »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Master Server errors
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »

Hi Paul,

Yeah, it looks like the Master Server registration is failing.  I see two errors in the log -- one is that the server is sometimes unable to connect back to your FSHost at all, and sometimes it's able to connect to your IP, but it's getting some other web server instead of FSHost.

Here are a couple of things to try...  First, run ipconfig to find out what your internal IP address is.  This will probably be something that starts with 192.168.  For example, it might be 192.168.0.101.  Then you need to configure your router to forward web requests to your computer.  I'm not sure which router you have, but here's a page that describes how to do port forwarding for various models:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

You want to forward the HTTP port, which is TCP port 80.  Put in your internal IP address for the machine it should forward the port to.

Another thing to check is your external IP address.  Try going to:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

And see if it's the same IP that FSHost is reporting.

Another thing you can try is to change the port FSHost is using.  Go to Options / Remote Access and change the port from 80 to 81.  Or try other ports such as 1000, 5000, etc.

Let us know all the details of what you try, and I'm sure someone can help.

Russell

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:32:55 PM »

Hi Russel,
Another day another try. I keep getting a message that port 80 is in use. and when I change ports in remote access, it tells me whatever port I enter is in use also. It also tell me that remote access must be turned on. The program tells me that remote access is on. I just might end up re-installing the whole thing. That includes my router software.  I have a feeling that that with all my attempts to get the softwate running, I could have punched a key or two that I should.t have. I will keep you posted.
Paul

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 03:44:17 AM »

I went to the router list, Netgear MR814V2, and went thru port forwarding putting in a range of 80 to 89. When I put in the static IP adress the master server tells me the port (any from 80 to 89) is already in use. If I leave the field blank the server tells me I must perform the port forwarding exercise.During this I have my windows firewall diabled. I get a message saying remote access must be turned on. As far as Iknow, it is. Also when I try ro run fshost the router locks up and I must clod start it by pulling the power off and then back on again. ( just now remembered I didn't install the patch for fshost that I downloaded yesterday. I'll do that and post here again with the results.
Paul

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 06:18:40 AM »

I set a port range of 80 to 150.The server still tells me it can't log me in no matter which port i use. I removed my other browser and just used  IE6 but when I did that I couldn't get into this forum. I had to go thru my ISP. Now that I have my other browers installed again I get to the forum OK. I am using AOL for broadband and I am connected to a high speed cable service. When I intially run fshost my router still locks up. and I have to cold start it. I guess I wasn't destined to use fshost. :'(

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 11:15:59 AM »

The master server finally said I was registered..I took my wireless router out of the loop and went to the cable modem directly via USB. Now all have to do is figure out why the wireless setup is causing me the headache. If you have any ideas why the wireless setup is giving me grief I'd be pleased to know. For the time being I have to re-activate the wireless router so my wife can use her computer. At least I am on the right track (Ithink). If anyone else has any ideas, please post here. Thanks.
Paul  

AirFlyers95FM

• FSHOST IS MY FRIEND
    • AirFlyers General Aviation
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »

If your home has only 2 computer devices, you might want to disablethe local DHCP on your wirless access point. The WiFi ap WHEN ALSO ACTING AS A LOCAL dhcp SERVER WILL By stopping your WIFI AP from acting as a DHCP server will no longer issue local (192.168.xxx.xxx etc) IP addresses to client machines. For obvious reasons, those local addresses are not readily useable for 2way data transfers.

Many DSL/Cable broadband providers will tell you that you are only allowed to obtain 1 IP address. The reality is that many will turn a blind eye if you are only pulling 2 or 3 of their (external) Ip addresses.

Try setting up your WiFi AP to obtain IP address(s) automatically from your ISP/provider's default gateway.
If I remember right the local IP address for Comcast's Motorola modem is http://192.168.100.1  or http://192.168.100.100

Go to this page and print it for reference. It will tell you the default gateway addy and that is the one you want to try use in your WiFi AP. Remember if you disable all firewalls and disable local DHCP, your wifi AP should auto detect the ISP providers gateway. Be sure t reboot your Motorola and Wifi AP to obtain new outside IP address.

Now when you check whatsmyip.com each of your pc's should now have their very own "wide area" IP address.

Thank-you Mr. Gilbert for FSHOST and your work in
the World of Multiplayer Aviation
Len Harrison
N195FM
AirFlyers dot Net
"Microsoft Flight Simulator Is My Friend"

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 08:25:38 AM »

I think I finally have an answer. Firstly my copy of Windows XP home crashed and I spent some considerable time getting things right again. Being a bit slow on the uptake, I was unable to configure my router properly. As a subscriber to AOL I have access to a program byPure Networks called Port Magic. Netgear was one of the products supported by Port Magic so I decided to give it a try. It worked. I am now registered on the master server using port 80. THe only thing I don't know yet is whether or not anyone can attach to my server. I think they should be able to. I have it named Pauls server and the session is free flight with a limit of 35. I need to get a few more things worked out but I thibk I now am on the right track.
Paul

AirFlyers95FM

• FSHOST IS MY FRIEND
    • AirFlyers General Aviation
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 03:56:23 AM »

Congrats Paul on getting it sorted out. Where can people get Port Magic? Is it free?

BTW, let me know when you are up and running. I will fly by and see how it's going.
Thank-you Mr. Gilbert for FSHOST and your work in
the World of Multiplayer Aviation
Len Harrison
N195FM
AirFlyers dot Net
"Microsoft Flight Simulator Is My Friend"

Paul_Eriksen

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 06:08:50 AM »

Port magic-- 14 day free trial. cost $19.95 USD. AOL subscribers get it free. Do a search on purenetworks.com. There's a clickspot there to see if your router is covered. They also have network magic but that's $50.00. Don't know what that is.
Sometimes I see my sever on Hostspy and sometimes not.????
Try "Pauls server", freeflight, players set to 35 for now. Message box says check the weather. I hope you can get in OK. Let me know here.
Paul
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:10:27 AM by Paul_Eriksen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up