Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSHost and Multiple IPs  (Read 4621 times)

Maxell

FSHost and Multiple IPs
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:36:52 PM »

I have the intention of running FSHost on a server with 20+ IPs...I have tested it on a smaller server with only 2 IPs and it kept sqitching back and forth between those two. There were two pilots connected, and nobody got disconnected, but it still may be a problem especially since the number of IPs will be greater then 20, so connecting wouldn't be "try one of theese two".

Is there some hidden feature/option to disable that? Is there a patch that would help with that?

Thanks,
Max
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 05:14:07 PM by Russell Gilbert »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: FSHost and Multiple IPs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »

Hi Maxell,

FSHost does all of its internet communication via DirectPlay, which is part of DirectX -- this is because that's what FS itself uses, so FSHost has to do the same to talk to it.  From what I've seen, FSHost gets anything that DirectX gets, so if you have people connecting in on multiple IPs, if they can send data to the server, it should get passed on to FSHost.  But there's no way for FSHost to specify which IP it wants data from -- and I don't think there's a way to do that in DirectX either.  You'll have to do that in your Windows/router/firewall settings, to limit a particular IP for a particular machine, if you want to control the IPs DirectX has access to.  Maybe some of the other FSHost server admins can add more info...

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything