Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stange tings on my FS HOST - when more than 5-6 person are online  (Read 7836 times)

BEO

Hi all.
First af all, let me start with saying that i am from Danmark and therefore not vary good in spelling in engelsh. Hope you understand
me anyhow :-)

I have a little problem with me FSHost running on a windows 2000 server.
I now that this issue has been descuise erlier, byt it simes not to have been solved ...

Here is my case:
As I said, I have a FSHost server running and when 5-6 persons is on it, it then tell someone that is
was not posible to connect to the server. (hmm - my mistake - I dinīt take any sceenshoots of the error messess .. I simply forgotten ;-( )

I have done a little bit of test to see what ever it have anyting to do with my Router or any other IP access issue...
but the problem also accoure when trying to connect from a mashine sitting on the same LAN and therefor Routing isnīt in use there !!
I then started up a new FS session on the same server (with port number 23457) and on that there was not any problems for me to connect !!
After I then restartet the first session, It was then  posible for me to connect to that also !
But then some outher person sitting ofside the server get the problem (trying to connect to the second session). And that happing also
after 5-6 person was on it...

so all to gether that tell me that it is the FSHost that got a problem .. I canīt say what but it seems that when the FShost session
get a little bit bussy then it just cut off ..

I should tell that the persons allready on the server dinīt get kick off or anything at no points...

in the end here is a little more of my spec. of my server:
pentium 4 1800 Mhz 768 Mb ram
running windows 2000 server
hosting FSHost, Teamspeak server, Webserver and a small email server (pop3 server)

when it is running normaly it is using about 5-10 % Cpu and 350 Mb Ram

Hope that annybody can help me...

be regards

BEO

CheifInstructor - v-RDAF
NO - v-RDAF

http://www.v-rdaf.dk
beo@v-rdaf.dk

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Stange tings on my FS HOST - when more than 5-6 person are online
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 05:07:15 AM »

Hi BEO,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

These types of problems are very hard to figure out, because they involve so many different things.  The main thing is DirectPlay (part of Microsoft's DirectX), which controls all of the network communications between FSHost and FS itself.  It does a lot of strange things, and sometimes if it can't send all of the data through, it cuts off the connection.  I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about that, although I've certainly tried.  Routers are also a huge problem in this area.  Although you said it was happening inside the network as well, I'd definitely try some tests without the router, if you have some other way of connecting to the internet without it.  Usually most of these types of problems can be traced back to the router in one way or another.

If you can get specific error messages, that might help the people reading these forums, maybe someone will have a suggestion to help.

Thanks,
Russell

BEO

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 05:50:59 AM »

Hi Agin

I have done a little more testning about the problem ...
It seams that FSHost canīt host a session with both WAN and LAN connection ..
When I join the session via LAN, then nobody canīt join from the WAN side ..
And when somebody have join via WAN connection then I canīt join from the LAN side..

It is stange that nobody havent diskoveret that before !!

I hobe someone can tel me if there is a way to work aroundt this problem !! ...

The only selousion that I can think of, is to put the Server on itīs own Routher so everbody joins up via WAN connections..
That would not be a great solousion because I want to use the server for other things than just hostning FSHost !
fx. ActiveDirectory, File and Print share and so on. And that is not posible if I canīt see the server over my LAN connection

BEO

beo@v-rdaf.dk
www.v-rdaf.dk

P.S - I Have now taking a screenshot from the error message, but I donīt now how to put it in this Post of even if You can do it ...
So if enybody want to see the error message then email me, and I will send it to you

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:53:58 PM »

Hi BEO,

Yes, this is a fairly common problem.  It's most likely because the data isn't making it back and forth between all the machines correctly.  If you have a router, and you're forwarding certain ports to the FSHost machine, then it means that when someone connects from the internet, their data is only being forwarded to that one machine on your LAN, and it's not making it to the other machines on your LAN.  At least, if I understand your setup correctly.

I've never tried it before, but there's a program called DXport (www.puffinsoft.com) that might help.  The idea is that it lets you specify which ports should be used by each machine on your LAN.  Usually, DirectPlay uses the entire range from 2300 to 2400.  But if you assign one of the gaming machines on your LAN to only use 2300-2310, then the idea is that you could then forward those ports to that one LAN machine, and forward other ports to the FSHost machine.  Right now you're having to forward all 100 ports to the FSHost machine (I'm guessing), and there's nothing left over for the gaming machines on your LAN.

Let us know what you find...

Russell

BEO

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 02:54:05 PM »

HI Russell

If I understand what you are saying then when someone connect to my FSHost from the WAN side then the FSHost machine is using all the port from 2300 to 2400 for that comunication.. meaning that it will not alow connection from the LAN side on the same port, because it is routning that range to to the router and therefor not back to the machine on LAN side..
So If I can make the FShost macine only to use half on the range (2350-2400) for WAN connection then it should be posible to connect to it by LAN using the range from 2300-2350 .. - Right ?
And that is what this program DXport should be able to do ?
So in that case I should Install it on the FSHost machine -right ?

If that is correct - then I will test it and give you the result of that test ...

BEO

P.S Let me for the Record say that I find FSHost a realy great program ... NICE job there Russell .. Keep it up  :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything