Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FH Host disconnection  (Read 6738 times)

kread

FH Host disconnection
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »

We have recently installed FH Host on our server (Windows based).  After we start a FSHOST session, I log off of the server and FSHOST immediately disconnects.  Help?

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: FH Host disconnection
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:24:28 PM »

Hi, sorry for the delay, I've been out traveling for a few months.

Are you still having this problem?  If so, what do you mean by "FSHost disconnects"?

Thanks,
Russell

N704FN

• Random Henry Photo 2007
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

You need to run FSHost as a service, that way it will still be running after you log off the server.  You can do this using FireDaemon.  Check out this thread for some info about setting it up.  Good luck

EDIT:  To run FSHost as a service without using FireDaemon:

You'll need these two microsoft utilities:  Srvany.exe and Instsrv.exe from the windows resource kit tools.

Warning: The following text includes instructions on modifying the system registry. Use extreme caution whenever you make changes to the registry. Inadvertent modifications may cause irreparable damage to your system.

Make sure that you are logged on as a user with administrative privileges. Also, verify that both INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE are stored in a directory within the search path.

1. Open up an MS-DOS command prompt.

2. Type the following command: INSTSRV fshost SRVANY.EXE
      The service name can be whatever you want, but should be descriptive.

3. Remove service example:   <<<<<Just an example, not part of setting up the service>>>>>>
      INSTSRV fshost REMOVE

4. Open up the Registry Editor (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type REGEDIT)
         Locate the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fshost
         From the Edit menu, select New, select Key, and name the new key Parameters
         Highlight the Parameters key
         From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value Application
        From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path to FSHost30.exe
      Example: D:\fshost30\fshost30.exe
        From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value AppDirectory
        From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path i.e.  d:\fshost30

5. Close the Registry Editor.

6. Open the Services applet and find the fshost service, right click and go to properties

7.  Set Startup Type to Automatic

8.  On the Log On page, check 'Allow service to interact with desktop'

9.  On the General page, start the service.  FSHost should start after a couple seconds.

10.  Change all the settings to however you want them.

11.  Shut down FSHost

12.  Go back to the properties of the fshost service.

13.  Stop the fshost service

14.  On the Log On page, uncheck 'Allow service to interact with desktop'

*You won't be able to see the FSHost interface, but without doing this, FSHost will still shut down when you log off.  You can make any future changes to the server via remote access.

15.  Start the fshost service

Now you should have FSHost running as a service, even though there is no interface.  You can check this via the Processes tab of Task Manager.

Now you should be able to log off without FSHost shutting down.

Hope this helps.  I just got done doing this on my Windows 2000 Server machine and it works great.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:15:47 PM by N704FN »

Jay

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 11:40:41 AM »

I have tried many times to run FSHost using FireDaemon (with no success and no help from them even though I purchased the program)   I have Teams Speak working with it so I know a little as to how set it up properly.

I am at the point where I am trying to use the INSTSRV and SRVANY to keep FSHost running when I exit the server. (Giving up on the purchased software idea)

Question :  I set up the FSHOST name and then remove it right away as to the instructions here.  Then when I click into the registry it is not there to edit... am I missing a step here?

I placed instsrv and srvany in the c:\windows\system32 folder

Using Windows Server 2003 on a Dedicated server...

ANY help would be great!

N704FN

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 12:37:26 PM »

Code: [Select]
3. Remove service example:
      INSTSRV fshost REMOVE

Step 3 is an example of how to remove the service, not a step in the setup process.

Mark

Jay

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »

Okay,   
Thank you   I believe I tried completeing the steps without doing that part also .... but I have tried so many different things in the past few days I am getting lost!

Great to know someone is out there!

Another update ... I am at step 9 .... I started service and it says it has started   however no  FSHost appears.... yes, I have allowed service to interact with desk top.   I have also tried to view with FSHostSpy and I am not registered with Master Server ...

Should Path to executable be c:\windows\system32\srvany.exe ? in General Tab
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:43:01 PM by Jay »

N704FN

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

Try going into task manager and first making sure FSHost30.exe is not running. If it is, just end it.   In Services, make sure startup type is set to automatic and yes, path should point to srvany.exe.  Might try just restarting the server, but you should be able to start it manually from the Services App.  Also make sure you followed the instructions in step 4 about the AppDirectory.  Hope this helps.

Mark

Jay

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »

Will do   

Thanks again Mark

OK I have it up and running with FireDaemon (which is OK with me)

Mark,   thanks for your help, you kept me from throwing things and a "live person" was very much needed!  I could probably get the srvany to work now also if I wanted to chance losing where I am at....
Just to let anyone know that follows this thread now or in the future... I was logged into Windows Server 2003 through Remote DeskTop .... never saw all of the errors as FSHost was loading (needed to use MSTSC /v:"server IP" /console ) to gain access to session 0  not session 1
Once I was there and saw that it was trying to load FSHost with numerous errors I was able to figure out that the folder I had unzipped the program to was READ ONLY .... unchecked that and restarted...
Great program Russell  I never doubted YOUR end of it!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:28:40 PM by Jay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up