Beta Test > FSHost 3.1 Beta (INACTIVE)

Data Rate Kick Option

(1/3) > >>

NCYF99:
Very glad to see much needed improvements
Since we have the data rate info now to monitor incoming data flux from clients - is there not a way to set up a "auto-kick" if their frames are too high for a certain length of time?

This would cure some server issues automatically with out a admin having to watch and kick people

NCYF99

ps - How much a deviation does the "data info " have,  and is it completely accurate representation of someones incoming" packet stream"?

Russell Gilbert:
Hi there -- wondered how long it'd take before this was requested :-)

Yes, I think it's definitely possible to add a feature like this -- might be a bit trickier to let them know why they're being kicked, but maybe there's a way around that, or maybe they just have to read the server notes :-)

--- Quote ---How much a deviation does the "data info " have,  and is it completely accurate representation of someones incoming" packet stream"?
--- End quote ---

Every time FSHost receives a data packet from a player, it increments a counter for that particular player, for that particular second.  So after a full second has passed, it takes the value of the counter and saves it off as "number of packets during the previous second", then zeroes out the counter and starts over for the new second.  Whenever it needs to display the data rate (in in the Windows app or on the players web page) it uses the value from each player's "number of packets during the previous second" counter.  So it's quite accurate, and if you watch it for a while you'll see that it varies a bit, but generally always stays around the same number.

Russell

NCYF99:
Most excellent feature!!

Might not seem like much - but when your trying to squeeze pilots in on every little bit of bandwidth you have - it really helps to monitor the packet situation! - Glad to see it! (not to mention the fact that I can really test my machines now and my connection to servers!)
I have already implemented a couple messages on the server saying we are monitoring - not that I'm actually watching it all the time - but would be great during sessions not to have to monitor and just let the server do the work.

Thanks for the contuning awesome updates and addons! Sure everyone else loves it too!

PS =- maybe two or three automated warnings about the packets- too bad there wouldn't be a way to suspend their session till they resolve that...... ;D

Russell Gilbert:

--- Quote ---too bad there wouldn't be a way to suspend their session till they resolve that
--- End quote ---

Well, there's always the ability to add a temporary ban to the "kick" :)

But maybe not necessary, since if they connect again with a high data rate they'll just get kicked again anyway.

n3306tx:
Is there a possiblity that the data rate displayed on the FSHost web page could actually be higher than the FPS setting?  Reason I ask is we had an event a few weeks ago using the beta with about 15 people connected.  A few players (including myself) showed data rates that started out low (around 15-20) but later into the event, showed upwards of 50-60.  My FPS was locked at 20 fps.  The server was not run on the same machine as FS9.  It seemed to start increasing after the FSHost server kicked everyone (bad data packet from someone?) and then we all rejoined.  Which reminds me, after that happened, everyone was able to immediately reconnect without problems, whereas before when this happened, it always seemed we had trouble reconnecting and getting the "Not All Players Could Connect" message.  Don't know if it's related but thought I would mention it.

N3306TX
Flightsim.com Multiplayer Adventures

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version