Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connection  (Read 29090 times)

Ace

Connection
« on: July 21, 2003, 01:33:57 PM »

I don`t know if this was already in the fourms, cause i just joined, but, when i run FSHost, or even fs2002 server, nobody can connect.  I opened all the ports.  I can`t even see my server unless i say "localhost".  Can any1 help me? ???
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 01:34:52 PM by Ace »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Connection
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 06:46:14 PM »

Hi Ace,

Yes, routers are always a problem with FS2002. Some people have had success configuring their router, and some haven't.  It seems to depend on which router you have, and exactly how your network is setup.  Unfortunately I don't know how to configure all the various kinds of routers, but please take a look at the last section of the Help page, where there are several things to try, and tips from other users:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?help.html#ports

You can also tell us more about your router and your network setup, and maybe someone can help.

Thanks,

Russell

Ace

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 11:16:47 PM »

Well, i got an linksys etherfast router, and i share it with 3 computers.  I opened all the ports, I did everything other than ics.  The three computers os`s are Win XP, Win XP, And Win 98. Im running DSL.  Is there anything i can do?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 11:17:28 PM by Ace »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 11:32:19 PM »

Here are the things I know to try... but I have to say that I haven't had much luck with this either :-(

1. Use Port Forwarding to forward the following ports to the machine where you're running FSHost/FS2002:

47624 - TCP
2300 to 2400 - TCP and UDP

2. If that doesn't work, you can try putting your machine in the DMZ.  This will tell the router to send all data on all ports to your machine.

3. Disable Universal Plug-and-Play.  Go to the Setup tab, then the Password tab, and disable "UPnP Services".  I've found that with this feature enabled, I can't find the server at all when I click the Search button in FS2002.

Port triggers are only needed if you have more than one machine behind the firewall that you're trying to get working with FSHost/FS2002.  You don't need to use triggers if you're only working with one machine.

Hope this helps,

Russell

Andy King

• Hawarden Virtual Airport
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 04:04:34 PM »

Hi Russel,
When saying......

2. If that doesn't work, you can try putting your machine in the DMZ.  This will tell the router to send all data on all ports to your machine.

Please also say that DMZ opens the Machine up to the Internet so a software firewall on that machine would be required to stop the inevitable.
Andy King
CEO ChauffAir & Beluga Operations

PeterR

• Bush Flying Unlimited
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 04:24:50 PM »

The key thing is Port Forwarding. When you open the ports, it means that data is allowed to come in to the network. However, the router doesn't know where that data is supposed to go. The port forwarding setup tells the router that data that comes in on those ports should go to the PC with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

You can think of opening ports like opening the door to the post office. Port forwarding is like specifying who gets what mail when it arrives at the post office.
Peter
Bush Flying Unlimited
"At home in the wild"

Ace

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 06:21:25 PM »

I already knew about port fowarding and dmz (not being harsh or mean) but the other stuff ill try out.  It seems my router does not like me.   :-[.

I got norton anti-virus (i got some secure hunk of junk here) too, would that effect it?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 06:22:59 PM by Ace »

Ace

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 06:24:05 PM »

I also got dx 8.1..........whould that make a difference if i got 9.0a?

Ace

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 06:40:03 PM »

I tried port fowarding, disable upnp, and even DMZ, but to no avail.  I bet if i got DX 9, it would help me out (stop me if i am wrong) due to updated directplay.  Mannnnn, this is certianly pissing me offfffffff. *cries*  GOD DAMN ROUTER, I WANT TO SEE IT BURN!! *cries some more*

jonf

• Guru
    • Livewire Airlines
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 07:01:20 PM »

You shouldn't have  problem running FSHost with DX8.1 (I run it on NT with DX7) but I find that if a pre DX9 user connects to FSHost then it will kill the entire server within a few minutes. FSHost begins to go from 0-5% resource usage to 90% usage. Try bypassing the router completely. If it works then you know that it is a router issue and where to spend your time debugging. If it still doesn't work then you won't waste too much time looking in the wrong place.

Ace

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 08:59:37 PM »

jonf, ya know, that a very good idea, ill try a direct connection. if that doesent work, ill chuck the computer out my window.  ;D ;D

Ace

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 10:39:25 PM »

Tried direct connection, but to no avail! wtf is the problem. *cries*

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 10:44:34 PM »

By "direct connection", I'm assuming you connected your PC directly to the cable or DSL, and still nobody could connect to you.

At that point, there are a couple of things to look at.  One is that the person joining is using the correct IP address.  Usually you can find your own external IP by going to http://www.whatismyip.com.  However, you should also start up FSHost and see what it reports, to make sure it's the same.

You should also try turning off all firewall software, including the one built into XP.  If you need help with that, let us know.

You can also try turning on Remote Access in FSHost, and then see if someone can access the public web page by just typing your IP address into a browser.

Russell
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 10:45:07 PM by russell »

Ace

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 11:20:37 PM »

Well, i had the right i.p all along, i went into the remote acess webpage.....all fine.  I have no clue what is going on.  Also, the only firewall i have on is the router hardware firewall.  But the router is not the problem.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 11:21:34 PM by Ace »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 11:23:16 PM »

Is anyone else able to get to your Remote Access public page?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 11:24:38 PM by russell »

Ace

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2003, 11:26:18 PM »

If your still here, try http://142.163.222.123

jonf

• Guru
    • Livewire Airlines
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2003, 11:28:07 PM »

I was able to reach that page without a problem.

(BTW, you spelled Canadian wrong  :D)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 11:28:53 PM by jonf »

Ace

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2003, 11:29:54 PM »

This is becoming a little bit of a sticky problem.

jonf

• Guru
    • Livewire Airlines
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 12:06:43 AM »

I was also able to connect through FS

(not your day, eh?)

Ace

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 11:37:04 PM »

Ok, hmmm, now i fell like i am going to throw the computer out the window!!!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Is there any way i can solve this?  It would be a great help.  Or all i have to to is use "localhost" to connect with my buddies?

Ace

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2003, 12:22:18 AM »

Ok, i hosted a server with PEOPLE (YAY!), Btu the problem is i can`t see them, or they can`t see me.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2003, 02:23:48 AM »

When you can't see each other, it means that some of the data is not making it to your machine, or vice versa.  Almost always because of a networking problem, such as a router.  See the previous posts about how to open the ports, etc.

Russell

Ace

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2003, 12:59:30 PM »

Ok, i had alot of the same ports in the port fowarding page,  i cleared that up now it should work.  Now i gotta wait for my vm buddies to come on for a test run.

Ace

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2003, 11:50:47 PM »

Guys, im in even a bigger pickle, people can read my messages, but i cant read theirs, or they can`t see me and i can`t see them, now this is starting to get really annoying, any pointers?  I tried opening the ports, but to no avail.  Any help plz?

PeterR

• Bush Flying Unlimited
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2003, 04:38:04 PM »

I've heard of this happening with Linksys routers. You can see others but they can't see you. The only workaround I've heard of is that you have to fly on the same PC that FSHost is running on.
Peter
Bush Flying Unlimited
"At home in the wild"

Ace

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2003, 05:56:55 PM »

I do fly on the same computer as fshot is on all along\.

PeterR

• Bush Flying Unlimited
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2003, 09:45:29 PM »

Hmm, works for me. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. Did you connect to FSHost via localhost (127.0.0.1), via your internal IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx) or via your external IP address (the one assigned by your ISP)?
Peter
Bush Flying Unlimited
"At home in the wild"

Ace

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2003, 11:29:26 PM »

assigned by ISP
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 11:29:43 PM by Ace »

Ace

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2003, 02:16:22 PM »

Is there any thing i can do?

CowBoyGuy

• Al's Cut Rate FBO
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2003, 08:47:32 PM »

"I See" said the blind man.

Ace, sorry I didn't look at this post before. I ran into some of the same issues, and it relates to (1) nat Routers and (2) Linksys "U-Turn" issues.

First, understand that FS2002 chats with the server on one port then switches to another (somewhere in the 2300-2400 range) for play time. Since your Computer talks to the server on one port, the other ports must be forwarded for the messages to get back to you.

You may also need to us something called DXPort from http://www.puffinsoft.com. I use it to split the DX Port range into groups of 10 so each of the internal machines can have to proper ports forwarded.

After you have joined the game, your PC stops working in Client-Server mode, and starts working with Peer-to-peer. This means that when player 2 joins, you are sending him your information and he is sending you his. You also both send information to the FSHost, because it was written to run as a FS2002 client, aka another peer.

When your friends connect to your FS Host server, they come through the router, which manages the data back to the host (Ports forwarded, to something like 192.168.1.100). The server gets 'client information from each of them and uses that to tell the other players where to send the information. FShost's address is translated by the router, so ither players send all data to your external address.

Here's the gotcha....

When you connect to the server,  Linksys can't deal well with the U-Turn (If you try to connect to your outside address.) This is a known problem, and it took me quite sometime to work through it with Linksys. I have a long list of emails based on this issue. Lnowing that you cannot connect to the external address, you have to connect via the internal address (192.168....) and the FSHost tells the other players to send data back to your internal address (i.e. 192.168.1.101). If you have more than one player inside, you'll see each other. All the other players will send data to some other internal subnet (if there even is one) and that data will never reach you. Thus no positions, so no local rendering of aircraft.

*** THis information has been compiled based on use of the Linksys BEFW11S4 version 1 router. I have not been able to us another version or model to test any potential fix or better behavior. LInksys information I have seen across the Web stated that future development for this unit/version would not progress since the Dec 2002 released patch. That was also the verbal expectation I received from Linksys support in Feb 2003.
   If someone has multiple machines inside a firewalled router, and is able to use the external IP address to connect to FSHost (or any other DirectX game) I'd love to hear about it, as I will someday upgrade from this unit.
Using free stuff to better the world...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alandtracysmith/CutRate/

Ace

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2003, 12:40:57 AM »

CowBoyGuy, thanks, ill get back to you if it works.

terbert

• If I was meant to fly, I would have feathers.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 10:31:09 AM »

;DThere I was, minding my own business, walking under this window, when out of nowhere........
Tony C,    

Sorry Ace, couldn't resist

lbromford

• FSATC
when i connect it kicks everyone off!
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2005, 06:29:24 AM »

At least someone is having the same problem as me! I have 4 computers behind a dlink 714P+ router. 1 of which is a server running windows server 2003 the rest are running windows xp pro and home. on the server im running teamspeak and fshost via firedaemon (run as service) People can connect externally fine, but if i try to connect via my pc in the LAN it kicks every one off the server. I have to reboot my computer and the server for people to be able to re connect to fshost. I have ports  2302-2400 UDP open 6073 UDP open they are triggered ports also in the router firewall i have them open aswell going to the lan ip of the server. But if i still connect wehn people are flying it kicks everyone of fs host! Any solutions?

many thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

anything