Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS Navigator Connections max number allowed  (Read 4972 times)

mark957

• ChicagoATC.net Virtual Flight Simulation
FS Navigator Connections max number allowed
« on: September 09, 2006, 04:46:06 AM »

Hello,

I was told that if more than 10 FS Navigator connected to my server that it will drop FS9 connections.

The reason that was told to me is that FSHost cannot handle more than 10 FS Navigator connections.

Of course we have the occasional misconfigured router connections that sometimes drop fs9 players, but I would think that FS Navigator would be treated in the same respect as FS9 connections to the FSHost.

Do I need to limit FSNav connections to my server ?

What is the maximum successful connections that has been actually tested with FSHost server ?

BTW:  I am running FSHost on a Win2003 server with 10MB/s dedicated service and of course with properly configured ports open.

mark957

Re: FS Navigator Connections max number allowed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »

Maybe I answered my question....I had about 25 pilots this weekend and plus 12 fsnav connections (total of about 40 connections including the ATC Radars....did not see any problems and the server was running smooth.

One more question...hopefully you can solve an on going debate.  :-)

Does the computer running FSHost need rebooting every 24 hours ?

For some crazy reason this (computer reboot) allows people that could not connect before to connect to the server.

I have checked the router settings of the remote connections and they are configured correct.

I have seen more connection problems with people on wireless routers.

Regards,

Mark Welborn

mark957

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 10:57:33 PM »

One more question.....If I set the network card on my server to half-duplex....with this help or just leave it on Auto-Negotiate ?

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:00:21 AM »

The reason that was told to me is that FSHost cannot handle more than 10 FS Navigator connections.

FSHost has no limit as to the number of Flight Sims or FSNavigators that can connect.  For more info on how FSNavigator is treated in FSHost, see this FAQ question:

Does FSNavigator slow down the game?
http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?faq.html#fsnav

What is the maximum successful connections that has been actually tested with FSHost server ?

I've heard of sessions as large as 40 or 50 players, although I think DirectPlay starts to have problems when the numbers get that high, and occasionally people will get dropped.  But I think sessions in the 30s are fairly common.

Does the computer running FSHost need rebooting every 24 hours ?

I know there are lots of FSHost servers that stay running for weeks without a problem, so in general, it's not necessary.  But if you're seeing an improvement from rebooting it, I'd guess it's somehow related to DirectPlay on your particular system.

One more question.....If I set the network card on my server to half-duplex....with this help or just leave it on Auto-Negotiate ?

Sorry, don't now much about that one, but I'd guess the default (full-duplex) settings would be best.

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything