Linux?

Started by CowBoyGuy, June 12, 2003, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CowBoyGuy

I have a few old computers, and the biggest one is a linux box. I'd love to be able to move my FSHost off the old PC to the linux host.

Ever consider putting a box together with WINE or some emulator to allow FSHost to be run on a linux box?
Using free stuff to better the world...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alandtracysmith/CutRate/

Russell Gilbert

Hi there,

FS uses Microsoft's DirectPlay (part of DirectX) for all of the game communication, so that's what FSHost uses to talk to it.  Unfortunately DirectPlay is a proprietary system, and so far hasn't been ported to the Unix environment.  I'd love to build a Unix version though, so maybe one day we'll be able to.  Until then, I think we're stuck with Windows :-)

I haven't dealt much with WINE, so I'm not sure exactly what it's capable of.  If it can truly emulate Windows, including DirectX, then it seems like it should be possible, maybe even without changes to FSHost.  Know anything more about that?

Russell

CowBoyGuy

Only that it's not an emulator (Wine Is Not an Emulator - gotta love these naming methods. ::) ) I've done a little looking into it, Since I have a Linux server with wine installed, but no graphics. (Linux issue recognizing the card). Still working around various groups to solve that.

Wine actually manages the environment the exe and dll's need... and some say it supports DirectX, although it seems very tricky as far as I can see.

If I do get it working with WINE I'll definately let you know what it takes so we can all share in the Linux world.
Using free stuff to better the world...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alandtracysmith/CutRate/

Russell Gilbert

I did a little more reading about WINE (www.winehq.com), and from what I can tell, they do have some support for DirectPlay.  Since FSHost only needs the network layer of DirectX, and not the graphics or sound support, its requirements are much less than they are for FS2002.  I'd love for someone with a Linux machine to try this out, and see if it just magically works.  Anyone?

Russell

UAVA1

i have a linux box and i am willing to test this what is it that you need done

Russell Gilbert

Great!

If you can run WINE on your computer, then just try running FSHost and see if it gives any error messages when you start up the server.  If that works ok, then see if you can connect to it with FS2002 (or send me an email and I'll try connecting).  If at least two computers outside of your network can connect and see each other in the game, then it works!  Thanks!

Russell

Russell Gilbert

Update:

A friend of mine tried running FSHost on Winex (www.transgaming.com), but got a very strange error message when starting a session.  The error reported doesn't even really make sense when creating a session, so I guess that version has a ways to go.  :(

Russell