Sticky: FSHostClient without FSX (Error: "This application has failed to start..

Started by Jetflyer, April 16, 2007, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellride

Quote from: Russell Gilbert on April 19, 2007, 03:00:56 PM
Here's how to run FSHostClient if you don't have FSX installed...

First, I think this is the error message you're seeing (or something similar):

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

The problem is that the SimConnect libraries aren't installed on that machine, so no SimConnect applications (like FSX and FSHostClient) can run on it.  To fix it, you need to install the SimConnect package that comes with the FSX SDK (Software Development Kit).  Unfortunately this is only possible with the Deluxe version of FSX, since the Standard version doesn't include the SDK.

First download and install this package on the machine without FSX:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

UPDATE on June 9, 2009:
A new version of this package, SP1, is now available:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647

Then install the FSX SDK, in order to get the SimConnect installer, which you'll then run on the machine without FSX.  On a machine where you *do* have FSX installed (or possibly even the machine without FSX, I'm not sure), load the FSX DVD #1, go to the SDK directory on the DVD, and run setup.exe.

(Note: this step is important. You have to start with the SDK from the FSX DVD first, even if you plan on upgrading the SDK to a later version afterward.)

After installing the SDK, copy "SimConnect.msi" from the following directory to anywhere on the machine without FSX:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\ SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib\SimConnect.msi

Then run SimConnect.msi on the machine without FSX, and try FSHostClient again.  Hopefully it should run ok now.

If you then need to upgrade the SDK to a later version, such as in SDK SP1a, you can do that now, and it should still be ok.  But it's important to start from the DVD before installing the upgrades.

If you don't have the deluxe version of FSX, the only way I know to do this is to install FSX on the machine also.

Let me know how it goes...

Russell

OK im really confused now ,

I have reformatted my computer ,f10 it,And  a lot of my game folders stayed, some disappear ,i still have put in my reg numbers in again ,sometimes reinstall whole game ,OK this was the case for me .i reinstalled fsx ,and downloaded fshostclient 1.1 again...........and received the configuration is wrong error.....I went to registry and deleted everything i could find with fshostclient on it NO luck .!...............i didn't delete anything to do with FSX it runs fine and still does ,i just need to run multiplayer....because im missing out with flying time with my buddies ..........lol

I read the post about the simconnect file ,if that's my case then i will get that file ......i must be misunderstanding  ...........wait NO im just confused .....help me :)~

Russell Gilbert

Quote from: Russell Gilbert on September 29, 2009, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: Stormy on September 29, 2009, 04:06:03 PM
ive the same problem, like to ask for which Simconnect version (SP1a or SP2) FSHostclient was developed for, and if only for SP1a, is there something in the pipeline ?

...i use a allready established SP2 Simconnect connection, added port 23000 to the .xml & .cfg files, but no luck with FSHostclient.

It was developed with SP1A, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work with SP2, since they always make things backwards compatible.  I'm downloading the SDK for SP2 now, so I'll see if I can get a new build for you to test with some time soon.

Russell

Ok, give this a try.  It was built with SP2 -- there were no other changes since beta 3.

FSHostClient 1.2 beta 4
   http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.2b4.zip

Russell

Stormy

Quote from: Russell Gilbert on October 05, 2009, 02:18:21 PM
Quote from: Russell Gilbert on September 29, 2009, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: Stormy on September 29, 2009, 04:06:03 PM
ive the same problem, like to ask for which Simconnect version (SP1a or SP2) FSHostclient was developed for, and if only for SP1a, is there something in the pipeline ?

...i use a allready established SP2 Simconnect connection, added port 23000 to the .xml & .cfg files, but no luck with FSHostclient.

It was developed with SP1A, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work with SP2, since they always make things backwards compatible.  I'm downloading the SDK for SP2 now, so I'll see if I can get a new build for you to test with some time soon.

Russell

Ok, give this a try.  It was built with SP2 -- there were no other changes since beta 3.

FSHostClient 1.2 beta 4
   http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.2b4.zip

Russell

Hi Russell,

Thank you for this version, but the problem isn`t solved. It is working if i use it on the same PC as FSX is running, but give me the same old Error: "This application has failed to start.." if i try to run it on my second PC which is already running other simconnect applications and correctly configurated to use this interface. The second PC have of course no FSX installed, but simconnect.

Maybe some routine checks the presents of some other, but maybe not needed fsx resource only local ?

Would be great if we could hunt down the problem  :)

Best regards

Stormy

NickFlyer

I have tried all the fixes in this post and still get the error message, just about at my wits end trying to figure out how to get FSHostClient to run.

I have my Operating system installed on E: drive NOT c: drive. I don't know if that is what's causing the problem but I have tried the C++ and SimConnect.msi thing still no luck.

Dutchy

Hi Russell,

I still can't install FSHostClient. FSX is installed and runs well, but I do get the usual message: "This application failed to start etc."

What if I turned the control of my desktop over to you? Can you install it for me?
If it is a config problem, you would best know how to handle it. If on the other hand it is my mistake, I would pay you a reasonable installation fee.

Without FSHostClient I just cannot particpate in the hops of the http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards

Richard

Randy_Cain

Hi,

I'm afraid the same bug bit me.  (Hi all from the 91st and FSVintageAir!  :D

Ive been following the associated threads here, installing the 2005 runtime libraries, etc.  Trying running it only directly, with and without FSX, with and without FSHost, even.  ...but to no success.  I haven't succesfully run it even once.

I'm on a new PC, 3 days old...and in a profile built for FSX.  FSX is in it's own folder, outside the Program Files x86 folder, to aviod the problems that are associated with addon scenery and aircraft.  I'm running FSX with Service Pack 1.  (no pack 2 or Acceleration)

My system:
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon II X3  455  3.3Ghz
4 Gig RAM
64bit

Here are a couple of my screenshots of my wonderful Multiplayer experiences, so far:

(If you haven't guessed already, I have NO clue as to what that utility is for, but for the sake of this suggestion, here it is.  I've been using Flight Simulator since the '98 edition and on operating systems since then.  I've been running Windows XP pro and FS9...til day before yesterday, so EVERYTHING is new to me, now.)
Any ideas or questions?   From other posts I've seen regarding this, a few other's have encountered this problem, but I haven't seen anyone resolve it yet....that they've told anyone about.)

Randy_Cain

Hi,

I never did figure out what the problem was, but this version will at least run, so I'll give it a try.

"FSHostClient 1.2 beta 4
    http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.2b4.zip "

Thanks.

Russell Gilbert

I've been working on this problem, and I think I may have found something.  If you're still unable to start FSHostClient without getting an error, try this 1.3 version of FSHostClient and let me know if it helps. Download the zip file and save it somewhere, and then unzip all the files in it to a new folder. Then run FSHostClient.exe.

http://chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.3.zip

Thanks,
Russell