Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Problems  (Read 5645 times)

RoswellSmart

Network Problems
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »

I have FSHOST setup on my laptop which acts as a secondary server computer for my network of two computer. I have a cross-over cable linking the two computer and the laptop gets its internet through the other computer. Whenever I start the server I get an error message saying that it can't connect to the master computer? I setup the server on my main computer and it worked fine. The laptop cant reach the master computer through the network. Help?

wesleyroyer

• Global Aviation Vice President
    • Global Aviation
Re: Network Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »

the master server is the server FSHostSpy looks at to find online FSHost servers. Your FSHost server will report to the master server telling it that your server is online. If your server cannot connect to the master server, try forwarding port 6073 to your laptop on your router and firewall. This often fixes the problem. If it doesn't, try connecting your laptop directly to the internet (bypass the other computer) If you need help on port forwarding, tell me what kind of router you have.

Wesley  :)
NP876D

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Global Aviation - www.flygafs.net - gafs.hopto.org
"Pilot's Use Pledge"

wesleyroyer

• Global Aviation Vice President
    • Global Aviation
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »

If you get this error message:

Master Server registration aborted. The Master Server attempted to verify your server by requesting a web page from it, but was not able to connect to your IP address (---------------) on port 80. If you have a router or firewall, please change it to allow port 80 to be forwarded to your machine. For help, see the FAQ page under the Help menu. Also, please verify your IP address on the Options / Master Server window. FSHostSpy will not be able to show your server.

Change the port from port 80 to 79 or 81 under settings, then remote access.
 I think you are getting the one that says something about forwarding DirectPlay port 6073. If so, then forward port 6073 to your laptop.
NP876D

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Global Aviation - www.flygafs.net - gafs.hopto.org
"Pilot's Use Pledge"

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »

I have FSHOST setup on my laptop which acts as a secondary server computer for my network of two computer. I have a cross-over cable linking the two computer and the laptop gets its internet through the other computer. Whenever I start the server I get an error message saying that it can't connect to the master computer? I setup the server on my main computer and it worked fine. The laptop cant reach the master computer through the network. Help?

Hi Roswell,

The problem is because your laptop is getting its internet connection by going through the other computer.  When you run FSHost on the laptop, it connects to the Master Server to tell it that it's running.  Then the Master Server does a test connection back to your FSHost, to make sure it can connect ok (and to make sure other players will be able to connect also).  The problem is that the Master Server is connecting back to your IP address, but it's getting intercepted first by the "other" computer, and that computer needs to forward the request on to the laptop so it can be handled by FSHost.  It's getting trapped at the other computer and never making it back to FSHost.

The way to fix that is to go into the XP firewall settings on the other computer and set it up to forward incoming requests on port 80 (the default port for FSHost's "Remote Access" feature) to the "internal" IP address of the laptop.  This IP will typically be something like 192.168.x.x.  You can find it by opening a Command Prompt window on the laptop (Start / Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt) and typing "ipconfig".

To be honest though, I think you're going to have a lot of problems running FSHost on the laptop.  It's always better and easier to run it on the machine that's directly connected to the internet.  If you decide to try though, you'll also need to forward the other ports the same way as I mentioned above, so the other players can connect to your FSHost with their Flight Simulators.

FS2002:
TCP 47624
UDP 2300 to 2400

FS2004 and FSX:
UDP 23456 (or your "2004 host port" on Server / Options / Session tab)
UDP 6073
UDP 2302 to 2400 (not necessary if also forwarding 2300 to 2400 for FS2002)

Russell
Pages: [1]   Go Up