Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is in  (Read 3942 times)

vir19

I've configured two PCs - one runs FSX, the other runs all my 3rd party stuff eg WideFS, FSInn, ActiveSkyX, OGS, Flight Deck Companion, Flight Sim Commander, Teamspeak, FSHostClient, my own EICAS display plus some hardware drivers for my throttles etc.

After working beautifully for a couple of days I upgraded my hardware and (long story short) had to swap the hard drives of my two PCs over. Not an easy task but everything's up and running again except FSHostClient on my other PC (still works fine on my FSX PC).

I'm getting this error message when I start FSHost Client

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect"

I've read the Sticky on this subject but no matter what I do I can't get it to run. I've installed, un-installed, re-installed, rebooted and deleted: SimConnect, Visual C runtimes and FSHostClient numerous times (and in every conceivable order) but all to no avail and I've run out of ideas. I just can't figure out why it worked last week if it won't work now. Is there a full blown installer package for FSHostClient1.1 that might add all the required run times to make it work?

Incidently I don't have anti-virus software on that machine as all my downloads are done on m FSX machine which has McAfee. so I don't believe it's a question of AV interfering with the install. Nothing's showing up in Event Viewer as a problem - all the installs get the green light in there so any ideas would be gratefully received, I'm baffled!

Ian

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost

Hi Ian,

Ok, let's try a couple of things...

Try running the SimConnect.msi file again, and then just afterward, look in the Event Viewer, in the Application section, and you should find an entry called "MsiInstaller".  Double-click the entry and check the Description.  If it worked ok, it should say "Configuration completed successfully."  If you see an error there, from what I've been reading, it usually means that the C++ Redistributable isn't installed -- or at least that's one cause of it.

Also, try going to this directory in Windows Explorer:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS

Then look for a subdirectory in there that's named something like this:

x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9

And inside there, you should find one file named SimConnect.dll.

(If you're on XP, you'll probably find the "x86..." subdirectory near the top of the list inside WinSxS, but if you're on Vista, you may have to search a bit since there are so many subdirectories under WinSxS)

Next, go to this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests

And then look for two files named like this:

x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9.cat
x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9.Manifest

Let's start with that and see how far you're getting.

Russell

vir19

Hi Russell

The re-install of simconnect.msi is almost instant but I'd expect that since it's already been done. The EventView shows "Completed succesfully".

I checked my Windows path and noticed a small difference in the name, mine is:

c:\windows\WinSxSz\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_x-ww_35e8ee9a

That said I do have the correct files in the \Manifests folder (same name plus .cat and .Manifest)

Ian

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost

Ok, good.

The part that's important from the WinSxS directory name is this:  10.0.61242.0  That's the version of SimConnect that's installed on your machine.

I believe the original released version of FSX came with SimConnect version 10.0.60905.0, so I'm assuming you've installed some FSX patches?  If so, let me know which ones and I'll try to do the same here as a test.

Russell

vir19

I'm using the Simconnect.msi from my FSX SDK over on PC. That machine has FSX plus SP1 and FSX SDK SP1a on it.

By the way I appreciate the help you're giving me on this, thanks!

Ian

vir19

Solved!!

FSHostClient seems to need the original SimConnect to run (v60905). On my FSX machine I have both the original version of SimConnect and the one shipped in SDK sp1a (v61242) (because naturally enough I installed sp1a over the top of my original install).

My second PC only had v61242 - no copy of v60905. I think this was because when I installed the SDK then installed the SDK SP1a patch it uninstalled the whole SDK first. I don't know why it does this but the net result was a single instance of SimConnect - the newest version.

To fix it I uninstalled SimConnect using Control Panel/Add Remove Programs then inserted the FSX disk, drilled down into the SDK folder and ran it's setup program. This put the original version of the FSX SDK on my second PC. Next I used Windows Explorer to open the newly created SDK folder, drilled down into it's Simconnect sub-folder and ran the Simconnect .msi just to ensure it was installed. After checking the v60905 was now on my system and that FSHostClient now worked I went over to my FSX PC, opened it's FSK SDK folder and copied the SimConnect.msi to my second PC. This, remember, was from my FSX PC that had been upgraded to SP1a. I ran the Simconnect .msi on PC2 and lo and behold it installed Simconnect v61242 alongside the older version. With both on PC2 FSHostClient still works fine - problem solved!

As always, thanks for the assistance Russelll!

All the best

Ian

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost

Nice job, Ian!

You're absolutely right, when I went back and checked the settings for how FSHostClient was compiled, I found that it'll only work if SimConnect version 60905 (which came with the original FSX release) is installed.  In most cases, I guess if you install a patch, it gives you a second version of SimConnect but leaves 60905 installed also.

Now I'm researching how to make it work with any version of SimConnect, even a future version that my program doesn't know about.  Once I figure that out, I'll release a new version.

But just for curiosity's sake, and so I understand completely what happened, here are a couple of questions:

1) Is there a particular reason you needed to install the SP1a patch on the second machine?

2) Did you install the SDK from the SP1a patch (does SP1a even come with the SDK?) or did you just install SP1a?

I'm trying to figure out why the first machine was left with both versions of SimConnect and the second machine wasn't, even though they both had SP1a installed.  But I don't know much about SP1a yet, so I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions.

Thanks!
Russell

vir19

Hi Russell,

I'm running Active Sky X on my second machine which requires SDK SP1a to run it remotely. Indeed if you try to run it against the original SDK or SP1 it returns an error message warning you to upgrade.

I got the "FSX SDK SP1a" download from FSInsider which I think completely replaces SDK SP1. Once I'd installed the original SDK from the FSX DVD I ignored SP1 and went straight to SDK SP1a. That let me run it's version of SimConnect.msi and made sure the original copy of SimConnect was left alone.

I think it's possible that my flounderings were actually because I'd originally installed SP1. I found that SP1a always uninstalled SP1 before it installed itself and I guess in doing so it removed the original SimConnect leaving just the new version.

It's possible that PC1 was OK because I hadn't originally noticed SP1 and just installed SP1a leaving the old SimConnnect in place.

Hope that helps!

All the best

Ian

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost

Ok, it's all starting to make sense now.  Yeah, I can see how that might happen, if you start with SP1 and then go to SDK SP1a, without ever having installed the SDK from the original disc.

But good to know for the future!

I've modified the sticky post to include a note about installing from the DVD first.

Thanks,
Russell
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:08:16 AM by Russell Gilbert »
Pages: [1]   Go Up