Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Router name  (Read 7876 times)

terbert

• If I was meant to fly, I would have feathers.
Router name
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »

Hi all,
I have recently changed to a BT Home Hub (uk)........now I am not sure if this is where my problems lie, but two things seem to have happened,
1...I do not see the site I wish to connect to in FS Host Spy listing, although the IP is in FS Multiplayer and I can connect ok ( more on this bit later)
2...My FSNav will not connect to the session (or any other FSHost session, but will connect through 127.0.0.1 to, for example the FSFDT server on the FSInn software)

Right, I have done the port test, FS ports 23456 and 6703 all ok. The BT Hub is configured for a load of applications including FS. I have tried port forwarding 23432 for FS Nav, but no joy. Think I am doing things right, so not sure if FS Nav has gone pear-shaped, so may dump and re-install.
What I would like to know, if anyone in the uk can help...what is the model of the Black BT Home Hub. Nothing on hub that I could find, but a properties check came up with Thomson and Speedtouch.
Now, this brilliant forum/site points us at Port Forwarding, AND BT Hub is there on their listings for manual config. Thomson Speedtouch are listed for auto config, but all have a model no. I need the BT one. I admit I have not tried BT for answers, as this involves three trips around the world then to end up at Bombay Central !!!!!
Going back to statement No1...although I connected to the Host server, and flew alongside a friend, fully visual, he told me the Host site said I was connected..but not in plane....the mind boggles. It all has to be connected in some way.
By the way...using this BT Hub...I have never failed to join to whatever, application or web. Lastly...I have disabled the Hub Firewall.
I hope someone can help, so I can let Port Forward do correctly what I may be doing wrong.
Many thanks
TC  (UK)

multisync07

Re: Router name
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »

Forget BT, go straight to the speedtouch website for any specific information on your router, it shouldnt be too difficult to find out which yours is, the model numbers are usually displayed on its administration webpage.

As you have ran the port test application the first thing I would check is that your DNS has updated itself, since many FSHost servers tend to run via dynamic IP services from peoples homes its possible that the DNS record has not yet been updated in your PC, although its equally possible that the server you are attempting to connect to has a static IP which would rule that one out.

You note on Point2 that you can connected locally to hosted sessions, this simply means that there is a connection on issue somewhere on the WAN side of things, since Local Connections (127.0.0.1) are rarley screened by any firewall applications, niether do they have to transverse NAT.

Can you connect to other FSHostServers? If the answer to this question is Yes, then the chances are your setup is fine and the issue is relating to that particular server, if the answer is no, reply back.

terbert

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:04:47 PM »

Many thanks for swift reply, multisync07.

In answer to your last question, I can connect to other FS Host servers in the Host Spy list, (FS9 Multiplayer can, but not FS Nav). I find it strange, that although I change the settings in the multiplayer, pick up on another game, I can still go to FS HostSpy and the server I wish to connect to (not host a game) is not in the list. As this is a server with a password used by only seven of us in our organisation, I obviously know the IP off by heart, and when I type in that IP, the Multiplayer picks it up as fast as I can draw breath.  :o
I am thinking of closing down the network, (its only joined to the computer in the upstairs room where I keep the wife   ;D ;D ) and seeing what happens. Its no big deal to set it up again, so that would at least see if its a network thing or just the router. I am not knowledgeable about Networks, only had this setup for a couple of weeks, as with the hub, and due to real world issues, have not flown for a while and cannot remember if these issues were there after fitting the BT Hub...but AFTER I set up the network.
Its really appreciated, your help.....the last problem I had concerning FSHost was back in 2004 (my last posts) and everything has been hunky dory since then.
*Footnote*......Just did a quick flight on Ivao, and connected to their software (Ivap and IvAe) and ServInfo with no problems whatsoever.
Thanks again,
TC   (Bucks UK)

multisync07

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:10:21 PM »

Just for clarification, as my inferior brain means I cant digest much information:

Is the server your having trouble with Local, or Remote i.e is it on a PC within your home network, or on a PC on the Wibbly Wobbly Web?

Are you trying to connect to it via its LAN IP or Via WAN IP? Your LAN IP's will resemble with 192.168.x.x whilst your WAN IP will resemble 8x.xxx.xxx.xxx

It may also be worth ensuring the chains on your wife are secure, she may be chewing through network cables. Try a cattle prod or Tazer to rectify this one.

terbert

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:38:41 AM »

Hi  my friend...
Firstly...keep your head down...wife on rampage....
 ;D
Secondly....and seriously....this computer is only connected to the computer upstairs.. LAN....not over the wibbly wobbly web...however that could be a description of this house !!
Its so strange that nothing else is having any problems whatsoever....seem to get through on anything I try.
I am beginning to think there is more to it than at first thought..I'll explain...
Whilst flying last night, I asked a collegue if I showed on server...and all was well. However, after quizzing further I find he has not accessed the host list...but accessed through having the host page saved to Favourites !!!!
So after asking him to access through the Host list....lo and behold, he could not see the server either. His ISP is AOL and whatever router they use....
As a test...can someone try for me to see if it shows for you...its called Rogue Forces server.
I have surfed round everywhere for this Hub model, found some info in places which say 7G...but cannot find any reference on Thomson whatsoever. P/Forward does not show this number or anything like it.
Many thanks

TC   (Bucks, UK)

terbert

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:01:41 PM »

UPDATE......

Visibility of server in FS HostSpy sorted. After a number of us were together on TS, it transpired that none of us could see our server listed. Our main man then syncronised the server and lo and behold...all can now see.
But despite all tests, reboots, hub resets, port forwarding, FS Nav dump and reload, disconnecting the network, I still cannot join to an FS Host server with FSNav.
Be assured...I shall overcome....even if it means using a different Hub/Router !!!!!!! (thats if someone tells me of one that DEFINATELY does work, without too much poncing about !!) Christmas is coming.....

Thanks again for all input

TC

terbert

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:31:10 AM »

>:( >:(

Right...latest update....it is definately the hub....done every elimination in the book, ports showing open, etc etc etc.
I have now unplugged the BT Homehub, and replaced it with an old steam operated  ;D  BT Voyager modem that was in the cupboard....set up the connection, fired up FS9, joined Multiplayer, opened FS Nav, joined Multiplayer.......everything top notch..perfect. Tried other Host servers....perfect

Leads me to ask the final question.......what routers can anyone recommend that do work wirh FS Host ansd FS Nav  ::) ::)

TC

multisync07

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »

All routers should just work, out of curiosity, theres an option in FSHost to disallow FsNAV, its not by any chance selected is it?

terbert

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 04:07:03 AM »

Hi Multisync07,

Thanks again for your input.....
I have to be honest, I did not know of this option, I shall investigate. Don't know where to look, but will go for that option next, however, as it all works now, using this Voyager modem, joining to any FSHost game, with the FSNav Multiplayer working, I would think that has eliminated the not allowing FS Nav side of things.
Gonna retry setting up the Hub again today......then if no joy, I will post on the Simviation Forum....se if I can get a response from anyone in the UK who is using the Hub....I'll keep you posted if I get a reply, always helpful for future reference.... ;)

TC
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:27:50 AM by terbert »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything