Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated server w/ multiple Ip addresses  (Read 5545 times)

t1mk1ll

Dedicated server w/ multiple Ip addresses
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »

Is there a way to get FSHost to bind to one IP address on a server that has multiple IP addresses?

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Dedicated server w/ multiple Ip addresses
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »

No, sorry, because of the way DirectPlay works (which is the network protocol that Microsoft uses with Flight Simulator), FSHost just sort of gets whatever incoming connections that DirectPlay hands it.  I don't know of a way to tell it to only accept incoming connections on one particular IP.  Maybe you can control the ports in the router/firewall, to only allow them in on a certain IP?

Russell

t1mk1ll

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:32:01 AM »

thanks for the quick answer. I would really like to run this as a service but right now it doesn't seem to be too friendly to that idea.  I admin at a GSP and would love to put this up for our clients to use.  It is extremely light on resources and would be a nice option for dedicated server users.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »

At the moment the best way to run it as a Windows "service" (so you don't have to have a user logged in to Windows all the time) is to use FireDaemon -- more instructions here: http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/?faq.html#service

I know there are several large organizations running multiple FSHost servers on machines with more than one IP, so I think it should be possible to do whatever you want to.  I'm sure there are readers here that can help with ideas if you want to outline the details of your situation.

Russell

t1mk1ll

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »

i really wish MS would have developed a dedicated server for this game...
Pages: [1]   Go Up