Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MP and AI Traffic 10nm >  (Read 18457 times)

DS20LA

• WSPilots.com
MP and AI Traffic 10nm >
« on: January 19, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

Hi Russell,

I'm a bit stumped on finding the answer to this one and I'm sure you have the info. When using add-on map programs e.g. FlightSim Commander & Thomas's new FSMap, AI traffic (and Vatsim/IVAO) is displayed upto about 124miles/200kilometers which is what SimConnect's default is. However, the data from FSClient via an FSHost connection seems to be limited at 10nm - and your buddies go poof from the map(s). Is there a setting somewhere we could modify to allow FSHost traffic to show up at further distances?

I'm very eager to figure this one out especially with FSNav no longer being developed - we are currently forced to look at other navigational aids. It wouldn't appear this is an item on the FSHost side because when we used FSNav/2004 to connect to FSHost - you could see all MP traffic W. Wide.

Thanks,
Robert

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: MP and AI Traffic 10nm >
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:19:05 AM »

Hi Robert,

Yes, FSHostClient doesn't show other planes that are more than 10 nm away, mostly just because that's the same limitation that FS2004 imposed.  But that's related to what you see in FSX.

If you're talking about a situation where the disappearing player is using FSX, then we have to think about the data being sent by FSHostClient (since it sends all location data on behalf of FSX) to the session, and then being picked up by the map program.  FSHost isn't changing any of that data, because it's actually being sent directly between all the clients.  From memory, I'm pretty sure that FSHostClient sends location data about your own FSX plane to all other players in the session, regardless of how far away they are.  That would make me think that any other player in the session, whether it's FS2002, FS2004, or a mapping program, should be receiving the data, and then could choose to display that plane or not.  I really can't remember if FS2004 is blocking remote players further than 10nm, or if it's the other way around, and FS2004 just doesn't send data to other players that are more than 10nm away (the idea being, that if it did send it, the receiving FS2004 player would show them).  As for the mapping program, I don't really know, but since you said it displays planes up to about 124 miles away, it doesn't sound like that's where the limitation is.

Ok, so back to the original problem.  Are we talking about FSX players disappearing from the map, or FS2004 players?

Russell

DS20LA

• WSPilots.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the reply. In FS2004 there never was an issue seeing players globally using FSNavigator connected directly to FSHost. The limit only existed in FS2004 seeing players in the Sim (which was always ok because we used the map to keep track of them).

The issue today is using FSX and FSCommander. The limit on FSX is 200km/124mi via simconnect - which means we can see the AI traffic on the map up to that limit. However, we cannot see FSHost traffic past 10nm on the map which is why I think there is some limit set in the FSHostClient.

FSCommander "the map" is getting its info from FSUIPC, and in-turn FSUIPC is getting the info from SimConnect. So if you are injecting FSHost traffic via > FSHost Client via > SimConnect, it appears to be limited. It would be great if we could connect FSCommander directly to FSHost as we did with FSNavigator, but this is not possible today.

There are lots of F's and S's in the above aren't there! Did I make sense?

Thanks,
Robert

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »

Ohhhhh....  after re-reading your last post, it suddenly hit me that I'm thinking about this backwards.  I'm used to thinking about a multiplayer program sending location data into the DirectPlay session for the other players, such as in the case with FSNavigator, FS2002, and FS2004.  But I just realized what you meant when you said that FSCommander is getting its data from FSUIPC, which gets its data from SimConnect.  The problem here is that FSHostClient doesn't show other planes that are more than 10 nm away.  I even wrote that in my first post to you, but even then I didn't realize that that was the actual cause of the problem. :-)

When FSHostClient shows another person's plane, it does it by creating a fake AI plane with SimConnect, and then the local FSX user can see it.  And since FSUIPC is reading that same SimConnect data, it sees it as well, and passes it along to FSCommander so it can show the plane on the map.  So if the local FSX user can see the other player's plane, then FSCommander can as well.  So when FSHostClient removes the fake AI plane because the player is more than 10 nm away, there's no more SimConnect data, and FSCommander can't see it anymore either.

So what we need to think about here, is how to let the FSHostClient user adjust that 10 nm limit.  Since what the local FSX user sees, and what FSCommander sees, are exactly the same thing, I don't see any way of increasing the limit for FSCommander without increasing it for the local FSX user also.  This means that if there are lots of planes within 200 km and you want to see all of them on FSCommander, then FSHostClient will have to create fake AI planes for all of them.  I had originally reduced the limit to 10 nm because that's what FS2004 uses, but also it was a convenient limit to keep the CPU usage down, since there was really no reason to keep moving all those fake AI planes if they were too far away to be seen anyway.

I think the easiest thing to do is to just let the user have control over the 10 nm limit.

I started wondering just now whether the max limit should be 200 km (about 108 nm).  But the other players that are being represented with fake AI planes are other players in the multiplayer session, so the data for those players is coming from FS2002, FS2004, and other FSHostClients.  And since none of those programs limit their data, I believe it's possible that the local user could set it to "unlimited", and then FSHostClient would create fake AI planes for all remote aircraft, regardless of how far away they were.  In your case, FSCommander would still be limited to 200 km because that's the max distance that it can use to see the fake AI planes, but FSX itself probably wouldn't care.  Of course, FSX is also not going to be able to actually display something in the sky that far away, so I guess it's a moot point.  But maybe FSHostClient could let the user select the limit they wanted to use.

Thoughts?

Russell

DS20LA

• WSPilots.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:47:05 AM »

I think the easiest thing to do is to just let the user have control over the 10 nm limit.

Perfect! And I read somewhere that if you set some simconnect param to "0" it would be unlimited.  ;D

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:54:09 AM »

Ok, cool.

Try out this version -- note the new setting on the Options window:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/FSHostClient1.2b2.zip

Let me know how it goes...

Russell

DS20LA

• WSPilots.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:30:23 AM »

Russell - it works like a charm!

I tested this with FSX AI Traffic turned completely off, and with FSX AI Traffic turned up to 100% - FSHost MP traffic always shows up just as we wanted. As you can see in the image, FSX is utilizing the internal AI limit 200km (the circle of traffic on the FSCommander map) and your inserts to the stream are unaffected (MP Player Scinfaxi @ 166nm away to the SW) - which is great!

...collection time ;)

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »

Hey, great news!  Thanks for letting me know!

Russell

canuck21a

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:20 AM »

Russell,

This update is great news for FSX/ FS Commander users and is the solution to a post I may have made quite some time ago.

Will this new version and its new capabilities be posted on your main site soon?

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:06:49 AM »

Possibly  :)

There are a couple of other things I'd like to put into it before releasing a new official version, but in the mean time you're welcome to point people at this thread.  Might be better to point them at this thread than directly to the download file, in case I post a new note here about a new version, so people don't keep getting the old one.

Russell

elievano

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »

now.the situation is better when using the version 2b2,for FSC,but there is a Radar ATC by eric marciono(vfr France)that present the same problem,10nm,period,even when using the option of  "0" for unlimited.whats going on with this and how i can fix it?

jfmitch

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »

Sorry but it didn't work for me.  FSUIPC version 4.3 and Flight Sim Commander ver 8.4.2.  Still losing MP aircraft at about 10 nm weither full traffic or zero traffic as instructions said.  Help?

Jim

jfmitch

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »

Me stupid newbie. ::)  I knew FSUIPC had a range limit to set but didn't realize FS Host did.  Changed to 0 from 20 and voila I'm in business.  Thank you for this .  Made my switch to FSX a whole lot nicer.

Jim

badapp1e

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »

I'll throw in my 2 cents and tell you all that I have the beta version set to "0" and FSUIPC4 set to "0".   Seems to be a 3500nm limit for me.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, FSX with Acceleration, FSHostClient 1.2b?, and FSCommander 8.4.

Yes we all loved FSNav but this is getting there.......

badapp1e

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »

Sorry, forgot to show my proof.  LIke I mentioned 3500NM seems to be the limit.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

anything