Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSHost on 1 machine and FS on another on LAN  (Read 6516 times)

central

FSHost on 1 machine and FS on another on LAN
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

Hello,

Here is my setup, I have 2 machines running behind a router, one as a web/game/mail server and another as a games machine (not on all the time).

I have FS Host running on the server and have forwarded the necessary ports to this machine. All is working fine here.

However if i want to connect to my server and fly with other members, well the bottom line is i cant, as the necessary ports have been forwarded to the host machine. ???

Without having to piggy back onto someone Else's network, how can i get around this. I can't see how this is possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Central

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: FSHost on 1 machine and FS on another on LAN
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »

Hi,

Yeah, this is a tough problem because of the way DirectPlay handles ports.  Take a look at my post in this thread, where I suggest using a program called DXport:

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=408.msg2187;topicseen#msg2187

Russell

Bulau

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »

I'm curious to know if anyone ever got this scenario to work, since I'm currently trying to set up the exact same thing. I've downloaded DXPort, and will give it a go and report if it works or not.

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but seemed appropriate in this case.

Bulau

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:53:19 AM »

I haven't done anything with DXPort yet, but have FSHost running on my server, and therefore all the required ports are forwarded to the server. Yesterday, there was someone who connected to my FSHost, and I was able to connect also over the LAN. We could both see each other, even though I did not have any of the required ports forwarded to my game machine, and according to the FAQ and Help, that is supposedly required for the other players to see me.

It seems I may not require DXPort, or is this an issue that will manifest when there are more players connected?

Both of us using FSX, BTW, and I'm using forwarded ports:
2300-2400

Also, we are up to DX9.0c now, so maybe that makes a difference too, since all these threads date back to ancient times.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:57:06 AM by Bulau »

Dangerousdave26

• Dangerousdave26 Sim-Outhouse.net
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »

You might be able to connect to one person...

Two persons....

Three persons...

But at some point you will start to block the other players our and the only way for them to join is for you to log off. The odds of you being able to log back on then are not good.

You may also find out that no matter what you do you can not connect with one user even if they are the only one to log on. It is hit or miss when you try and host this way. There is absolutely no way around it that does not include two separate networks to the outside world.

Better to find a host you and any friends you have could join that would not be on the inside of your network.
See you all at the Outhouse

www.sim-outhouse.net aka SOH FC

www.sim-outhouse.com aka SOH

FS Host server www.sim-outhouse.net:8181
Pages: [1]   Go Up