Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSHostSpy  (Read 5284 times)

Ninjaboy

FSHostSpy
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

Hello all,

I have just been through what seems to be the standard setup issues for FSHostSpy all night.  Couldn't get my Linksys Router setup, going through all the ports many times to make sure that they were open..

This is what finally worked for me (after about 4 hours of router/ip address study!!), hope it helps someone:

I went to the start menu, "Run", and typed "Ipconfig" and of course hit "enter".  I noticed that my IP address (not the default gateway address) was 192.168.1.100.  This was a different address than the 192.168.1.11 that my Linksys software wanted to forward FSHostSpy Port 80 to (I had already changed to 81 actually).  I changed to the 192.168.1.100, and "bang!", my FSHost instantly brought up the message "Registered with the Master Server" and my FSHostSpy showed my session.

I believe that it is important that port 80 be forwarded to the IP address shown in the ipconfig results as IP address.

Incidentally, I had also unchecked "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" under the "Security" tab in the Linksys software.

Under "Administration" UPnP is checked as "enabled"

Firewall Protection was enabled under the "Security" tab as well.

Again, Hope this helps someone!

Ninjaboy.

FSX time = 600 Hours
Around the world in a Beech Baron (Real Time and Real Weather)

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: FSHostSpy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »

Hi,

Yeah, that's the right way to do it, using ipconfig to find your local IP.  One thing though... you said that the address was different than the address the Linksys software wanted to forward FSHostSpy port 80 to.  Can you tell me more about that?  Which software is it, and how did it know about FSHostSpy and port 80?

Thanks,
Russell

Ninjaboy

Re: FSHostSpy
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:07:50 PM »

After having my FSHost go down after my last post, I had to dig even deeper into this..

To answer your question:

My Internal IP address by default was 192.168.1.11 on my linksys router software.  I had always thought that was the one that I was supposed to forward to, since the software set it up that way.  After I ran IPconfig, I saw that the internal IP address was actually 192.168.1.100.  I am absolutely no expert at this, but I take it that the online sever is connecting to my FSHost via the external IP address, then needs to forward the data to an internal address.  I think that the problem of no connection (from "Client" to "Host") was simply that my FSHostSpy was trying to route data to an incorrect IP address internally , 192.168.1.11 vs. 192.168.1.100.

Incidentally, during all of this, I knew that my FSHost was set up correctly because I was able to connect to the FSHost with FSClient, however couldn't connect to FSHostSpy to see my or other sessions.

Back to my FSHost crashing after my first post.  I tracked this down to uPnP needed to be set to disabled.  I spoke with a network expert friend of mine, he said that this one of the first things that he does when setting up a wireless router.  "Always causes problems" he said.  After this was taken care of, my FSHost/Client/Spy software has run 24/7 for about 2-3 weeks now..  (which is why I haven't posted a response for so long ;))

Thanks for the response and for the cool software!,
Pages: [1]   Go Up