Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hop List Generator  (Read 18995 times)

Robert

• Hop List generator
Hop List Generator
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »

I don't know if this gonna break all the fun of making Hop Lists.
Take a look at it and see if it's something that you like. I have plans getting runway length searchable so you don't have to worry about getting your heavy down on some tiny grass strip or such.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.basisten.se/e107_pages/hoplists/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:07:27 AM by Robert »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Hop List Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »

Hey Robert,

Very nice tool!

I guess you got your airport database from Traffic Toolbox, or did you figure out another way?

Would you like me to add a link to your page from the FSHost Add-ons page?

Thanks,
Russell

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

Hi Russell    :D
You're right, I used Traffic Toolbox to gather the airports but didn't find any airport names in there (maybe I have done something wrong here).
Instead I crawled the internet and found a file (fsxge.kml) and played a lot with it. Finally, I ended up with only having 294 airports without name.

With some experimenting in PHP and MySQL it turns out that it can be used for anyone who wants to generate their own hop lists.
I have plans to give the user the ability to select other languages for their generated hop lists.

Besides the missing names there is a 'heading bug' in my script that causes a 'NAN' instead of proper heading between some airports. I will look into that soon.
And yes, you are more than welcome to add a link to the generator in your FSHost Add-on page. That would be really great!  :)

Edit: Just added a nice Google Map for visual reference when making your Hop Lists   ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:21:36 PM by Robert »

wheelie

• Flightservers.net
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:01 AM »

Hi Robert,

After our exchange of PMs I have sent you a file that shows the ICAO equivalent codes for FS9 to FSX. It also shows which ICAO codes in FS9 are not present in FSX.

It does not list all of the FS9 ICAO codes or all of the FSX ICAO codes - just the equivalents but because I always develop hop lists using FS9 I didn't bother to figure out which ICAO codes in FSX do not have an equivalent in FS9.

If you have any questions just ask me :-)

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:26:51 PM »

Hey, Wheelie!
I got your file and you know what? Your table did the trick!  Ha ha..
Take a look and see if i got it right.

The annoying "heading bug" and the remaining airport names will be taken care of later.
Now I'm off for vacation.
See you later.

wheelie

• Flightservers.net
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:01:44 AM »

Hi Robert,

Hope you've had a good holiday  8)

I had another look at your tool - it's getting much better  :) I tried it with the sequence of hops that alerted me to the incompatibility of ICAO codes between FS9 and FSX (I generate hop lists in FS9 and then check they work in FSX - normally if an FS9 code isn't in FSX then I just change the destination to somewhere else in the vicinity where the ICAO code is common between FS9 and FSX). However, for FWLI in FS9 there are no other airports for hundreds of miles around that share the same code  :(

So, the sequence is: FVHA, FLLS, FWLI, FMMI (these are three hops that are part of my "World Tour").

Your generator produced:
FVHA = Click "Create a Flight" (or use the World menu) to start at FVHA, [Harare International - Zimbabwe], located at 4902ft [1494m] (Runway: HARD) then type "?hop" for first hop instructions.
FLLS = Fly heading 315 for 218nm and land at FLLS, [Lusaka International - Zambia], located at 3780ft [1152m] (Runway: HARD), then type "?hop".
FWLI = Fly heading 74 for 323nm and land at FWLI, [ - ], located at 4035ft [1230m] (Runway: HARD), then type "?hop". NOTE: FSX pilots fly to FWKI and then type "?hop".
FMMI = Fly heading 112 for 844nm and land at FMMI, [Antananarivo Ivato International - Madagascar], located at 4199ft [1280m] (Runway: HARD), then type "?hop".
which is pretty good.

In fact, it seems that I made a mistake in my hop list instructions for the FSX part of FLLS to FWLI - I should have used FWKI :( I will go and correct that now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:30:44 AM by wheelie »

wheelie

• Flightservers.net
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:08:25 PM »

Text deleted - cos what I wrote was wrong. Is there any way of deleting this entry?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:31:50 AM by wheelie »

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:30:07 PM »

Hello everyone!
Finally I managed to update this tool and I believe the 'NaN' (not a number) error is gone ... and putting too much airport information into the hop instructions was a really bad idea - I took it away and left only the most basic data.   I am however still not sure about the accuracy for the distance and heading generated by this script. Maybe some of you out there can help me on that matter.

New URL to the hoplist creator: http://www.basisten.se/e107_pages/hoplist_creator/index.php
Thanks
/Robert

Packo88

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »

I really love this Hoplist Generator and i use it every month for the FigAir Monthly Hoplists.

I have noticed that you have made some changes to the page and they look real nice. I like the ability to download as a FHL file that you have added too.
Just one thing that I have noticed is that now we dont get the detail of the runway surface at the destination airport. Will this be added back in in the future?

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »

Thanks for the compliments.
Please do not hesitate to come up with more suggestions about this tool ... I love to hear it.

The runway information is available so why not let the user to choose whether they want it or not?
I added two check boxes (runway surface and country), and I will probably add more options later this year after the summer holidays.
Give it a try and see if you like it!

I'll be back in a month
Have a good summer

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »

...just added total distance, total number of hops and airport altitude ...

Packo88

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:37 AM »

I just added your FSHost server status with Google Maps onto my server at FigAir.

I LOVE IT  ;D

I have been using an old script to display google maps but this one rocks. So easy to install, slick, clear and fast. Its a job well done Robert. Give yourself another pat on the back  :D

I would like to make a couple of suggestions if I may.
  • I like having your link at the bottom of the page as it encourages fliers to have a go at writing hoplists on your very easy to use hoplist creator but the link is quite intrusive on the pilot information table if the screen size is any smaller full size. If you could move it either up or down or have the option to close it it would be good.
  • I use your hoplist creator every month to create the Monthly Hoplist and would love to be able to overlay the flight plan onto the server status google map. i don't know if this is possible but if it is I would see it as a very valuable feature

All in all you do some nice work. Thanks for your efforts

Robert

• Hop List generator
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »

Hello Packo..
..sorry for the delay. Holidaze is coming fast this year :)

You're right that the sign shouldn't be there. I currently work on a new version that should fix that among other things..you'll see hehe

Having a layer with your hops applied to the map is indeed possible. I gonna look further into that and try to find the best way to implement that feature..
Have a great Christmas

Packo88

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »

I was using the hoplist creator today, as I so every month, and noticed an error that I thought I should mention.

I used airport HE1J (which is a FS2004 airport) and got a message saying that it did not exist in FSX. It does and it is HE46.

Thanks again for this tool. It makes my life so much easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up