Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic disconnect, one party in multiplayer  (Read 5023 times)

huronflyer

Basic disconnect, one party in multiplayer
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »

Background.
I am running FS9, using XP on an older platform, Athelon 2.4, a Nvidea 128 meg video card and 2 gigs mem.
For the moment it works for me.
I introduced my friend to FS9.
He has an older AMD 1.3 platform, XP and about 500 megs mem with a generic video card.

A month ago I discovered "FSHost Spy" and "FSHost" and have attempted to set up a host server; after reading the FAQs and trying to solve port problems I through in my neophyte towel for the moment and decided to use other servers on the "Chocolate" list.

I connected with one several pilots successfully, however, when my friend connected he kept getting disconnected - usually during a maneuver....

We wonder if it is because we do not fly out of the airport being used by the server? I have had a pilot come and join me at my home airport and the session worked fine. Or is it more likely port issues with my friends router?

Believe me I went through a lot of head banging with my "Bell" "Efficient Networks" "Speedstream 6300" to try and get hosting working.

Last night we used the generic 23456 default port, because when we tried others it would not see the host (which makes sense).
I am hesitant to mess around with his router's security.

huronflyer

Re: Basic disconnect, one party in multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »

I dropped into my friends and tried logging on to a session using "FS Host Spy" and experienced his problem, getting dropped.
He has a "Speed Stream" modem and i could not modify any of the rom in it...
so I looked at his XP "firewall"  and made a couple of adjustments.
I need to find any port conflicts, BTW he is nervous about outsiders messing his system
Maybe we will drop the firewall for a test and play with the FS ports...
it would be a lot smoother if i had "Host" working then we could sync all the ports.
Not sure its worth it, because just seeing a piece of text as your wing man kind of does not cut it.
drh

huronflyer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »

Last night we did a few hops using individual sessions and the telephone, kind of sucks, BTW he gave me  a tour of part of Europe.

Any multiplayer tutors out there?

drh ???

huronflyer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

;D

well I finally got the host session going which is satisfying
My friend got kicked off mine too.
I think it is their house network, so we will gingerly  tackle that and fun days ahead.

drh

wheelie

• Flightservers.net
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »

You should read the first 3 posts in this forum:
- FSPortTest
- Routers/Firewalls
- List of ports to be opened

So, run FSPortTest and fix any errors it reports, check your router and firewall settings and make sure you are forwarding all the ports correctly.

You should also make sure that any that is going to connect to your server has to do the same thing (FSPortTest and fix any errors it reports, check the router and firewall settings and make sure all the ports are forwarded correctly).
Pages: [1]   Go Up