Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connect to a servername  (Read 7196 times)

Rotate!

Connect to a servername
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »

Hello,

I'm working with FsHost right now, but users who want to connect te me have to fill in my ip-adress. Is there any way to fill in a word, of website name?

Grtz!

Air SeaTac

• Air SeaTac Virtual
Re: Connect to a servername
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:34:16 AM »

Unfortunately FS9 & FSX (via FSHostClient) only accept an IP address for the connection info.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:50 AM »

Actually you can enter a "named" address if the FSHost site has one.  For example, HawkFlyers have setup the named address "fshf.hopto.org" to point to their FSHost server, so you can enter "fshf.hopto.org" in FS2002, FS2004, or FSHostClient (for FSX) and it'll work.  All three programs allow this, but FS2002 and FS2004 only allow 15 characters to be entered (I checked FS2004 just now, I think FS2002 is the same, not positive).  FSHostClient for FSX will let you enter anything you want, so it's basically unlimited.

Usually, if you're just running FSHost at home, you won't have a named address.  But you can get one for free.  You just need a "dynamic DNS" service, such as the one at www.no-ip.com.  Go to that site and sign up for a free hostname to point to your dynamic IP.  Then "add a host" such as "xyz.no-ip.biz" or something (try typing it into FS to be sure it's not too long), select "DNS Host (A)", with no redirects and no "group".  Then download their free program and install it.  The idea is that whenever your IP address changes, the program will send it up to No-IP's server and save it.  Then when someone types "xyz.no-ip.biz" into FS, it'll get your current numeric IP from the No-IP server, and connect.  Like magic.

Russell

Air SeaTac

• Air SeaTac Virtual
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »

My bad!!  I was sure I'd tried this before & FS9 wouldn't accept it, but I've just tried again with a newly created hostname & it works fine

Rotate!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:19:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply's!

Can I set a dynamic DNS to a subdomain? E.g. online.mysite.com?
I'm using directadmin.

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »

One thing I may not have made clear in my last post was that whatever you use, it has to point to the machine that FSHost is running on.  If you're talking about a web site at a web hosting company, it won't work, because you most likely won't be able to run FSHost there.

What I'm talking about is the IP address of your PC, where you run FSHost (at home, for example).  If you go to www.whatismyip.com, you can see your external IP address.  By using a dynamic DNS program, you'd be pointing a new address like xyz.no-ip.biz to your external IP address, so people could type xyz.no-ip.biz into their FS to connect to the FSHost running on your PC.  That way, when your external IP address changes, you won't have to give them the new number because xyz.no-ip.biz will automatically point to the new one as well.

This whole thing won't work with a web site, sorry.

Russell

Dangerousdave26

• Dangerousdave26 Sim-Outhouse.net
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 09:45:38 AM »

Using a Domain name works in FS 2004 as well as FSX. I can not speak to FS 2002.

The Key is keep it 15 characters or less

Make sure you allow for each "." each one counts as one character.

My FS Host server is running at fs9x.dyndns.org

If you are running multiple instances the players will see of list of the servers you have active. They can then choose which one to join.
See you all at the Outhouse

www.sim-outhouse.net aka SOH FC

www.sim-outhouse.com aka SOH

FS Host server www.sim-outhouse.net:8181

ivycool

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

The idea is that whenever your IP address changes, the program will send it up to No-IP's server and save it.  Then when someone types "xyz.no-ip.biz" into FS, it'll get your current numeric IP from the No-IP server, and connect.  Like magic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up