Chocolate Software Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong "nearest airport" reported by FSHost  (Read 4800 times)

Air SeaTac

• Air SeaTac Virtual
Wrong "nearest airport" reported by FSHost
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

Hi,

My VA is currently running a hoplist starting at Skagway (PAGY).  Pilots are reporting that they're not getting the right response from FSHost to the ?hop command.  On investigation, when I'm logged in & at PAGY, the FSHost server page, rather than saying I'm at PAGY, says I'm 1nm from 7K2 (also called Skagway).

Any comments?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:23:02 PM by Russell Gilbert »

Russell Gilbert

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • FSHost
Re: Wrong "nearest airport" reported by FSHost
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »

Hi,

Yeah, that happens sometimes when two airports are right next to each other.  Depending on where you are at the airport, you could actually be closer to the center of the neighboring airport than the center of the airport you're on the runway for.

If you don't care about 7K2, an easy solution is to just remove it from the airports files in the FSHost directory (airports_2002.txt, airports_2004.txt, and airports_fsx.txt).  Then FSHost will use the next closest airport for the distance calculations, which should be PAGY.

Russell

Bob_8712E

• njhops.com
    • My Flight Sim Servers
Re: Wrong "nearest airport" reported by FSHost
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »

Hi, I just want to add my 2 cents here as this happens often with my hop lists.
The default setting on the server under "Hop List" is that the pilot must be within 3nm of the airport.
If you approach PAGY from the north there will be no problem as FSHost will see you at PAGY.
Since there is a mountain in the way the best approach is from the south right over 7K2.
FSHost first sees you near 7K2 and when you land at PAGY you are only .8 miles from 7K2, still well within 3nm.
These two airports are way too close for any tricks so the only solution is the one Russel recommended.
Load the airport list in to NotePad and add a pound sign (#) in front of 7K2 then restart the server.
Robert A. Holland, "-BobH-", http://www.bobholland.com
http://www.njhops.com
FSHost: njhop.hopto.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything